HK520 owners? channels question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by FeisalK, Dec 16, 2003.

1. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

the product sheet says its a 7.1 receiver, but there are only 5 onboard amps, and 5 pairs of speaker outputs.

How do you get the surround back channels hooked up?

there's a good deal on a local model (5500) that i'm looking at

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

You need to use the SBL and SBR pre-amp outputs. Connect these to a separate stereo amplifier (or a pair of monoblocks). You then can make use of Logic 7, DTS ES, and DTS neo:6.

Hope that helps.

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Scott

thanks - yes it does; I suppose being SB channels the power of the outboard amps don't really matter. a bit strange though, if i wanted to use outboard amplification I would want it for the front mains.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Would you actually buy a receiver that had power for everything but the mains though? I know I wouldn't.

This allowed them to retain the amp section of the 510 (5.1) but add processing for 6.1/7.1, which was still new, with relatively few titles, at the time. They were giving you the ability to upgrade to this capability.

5. Scott Pagac

One of the nice things with the H/K 520 is that you can use outboard amps for the mains. You can re-jumper (with RCA cables) any preamp output to any main amp input. I did that exact thing when I was using the 520. I re-routed the Left and Right preamp outs to a PA 2000 amp for the fronts. I then reassigned the front main amps to handle the SBL and SBR duties and ran the speaker cables accordingly.

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

7. Scott Pagac

The only downside to the 525 that I can see is that it has a fan. Depending on your setup, that may or may not be a problem. It does, however, do DD-EX (which the 520 does not). It may also have higher-bandwidth component video switching than the 520.

8. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

The 525 isn't as configurable as the 520. You can't reassign the amps...Well, you can configure the rear amps as power to another zone, but that's all. You can, of course, disable them and use outboard amps.

I've had a 520 and now own a 525. The 525 sounds better, both in home theater and 2 channel. The fan has never come on, even at high volume and after long usage periods. As mentioned, it is capable of EX decoding. I definitely feel it's a step up from the 520 in most aspects.