What's new

HK520 and Directv Question. (1 Viewer)

Joseph_Mikhail

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Directv receiver with an optical output. Some shows are in DD5.1. The problem I have is that the HK520 will detect the DD5.1 signal like it should (when its available), but when I switch to a show that isn't in DD the HK520 will switch to "Surround Off" rather than PLII.

Is there a way to make it default back to PLII or Logic 7 instead of "Surround Off".

Thanks.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Yes, this is kind of an annoying problem. Haven't found a way to remedy the situation yet. If anyone out there knows an answer, please chime in.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Guys--look at pages 20 & 21 in the manual.I have the 320 and it's supposed to work the way it states in the manual but it seems it does not always work that way.I have Dish Network and all I have to do is if I switch from a DD 5.1 broadcast to a DD 2.0 or a 2.1 broadcast "Dolby Digital + Dolby Pro-Logic II" will scroll accross the front of the receiver(and the TV screen)--it actually applies both.If I switch from a DD 5.1 broadcast to a plain old stereo broadcast(and it will tell you so in the info section for the program)it will USUALLY switch to DPL II since I've set that as the default but if not I just simply press the button labeled "Dolby" until DPL II is selected.

Joseph_Mikhail

Stunt Coordinator
I set the default to be PL II. It has never defaulted back to PL II when I switch from a show that has DD to a show that does not.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
I guess you'll just have to push the "Dolby" button on the remote to switch to DPL II then.

Joseph_Mikhail

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like theres no way to do it. Here is a response I received from HK's technical support:

I am sorry but there is no way to change the default "Surround Off" setting when a PCM or 2-channel digital audio signal is detected. It may be simpler
to leave the AVR520 connected with analog connections in addition to the digital optical cable. While the AVR520 is set to an analog source it will not change its surround mode, so it will allow you to change channels and
keep surround sound engaged. This could be your setting while channel surfing and when you are ready to watch a program in Dolby Digital 5.1 you can switch the assignment back to the digital optical input. This may not be ideal, but is just a suggestion. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams456
Recent bookmarks