1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HK320 and HTD III

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CurtJ, Apr 7, 2002.

1. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

Is a HK 320 receiver and HTDIII 5.1 a good match. Wondering if anyone else has tried this set up. I have read a few negative posts about the sub being the weakest link in the set, but I think I will give it a try.

My actual plan is to get Level III mains, center with Level 2 surrounds and Sub.

2. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Let me start out by saying that I would strongly recommend you not get the sub.
    HTD Level 3’s are very good value for HT uses. I have the Y-setup minus the sub. The towers has very good low end response and works well without a sub. The difference between the Y-setup minus the sub and what you described is only about $40. You can then save up for a good sub. That’s what I did and I’m now a happy owner of SVS. [​IMG]
    Don’t have any experience with the HK, my setup is hook up to an Onkyo 595. Looking at the spec for it, 65Wx2 or 55Wx5 seems a bit on the low side for a receiver that retails for $699. I think you are paying for its extra features. You should look at the features and decide if you will make use of them in the next 2-3 years. If not then you might be better off with another receiver.

3. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Art_C: take a gander in the receiver forum regarding the H/K 320 and 520. they (H/K) tend to understate the power of their amplification stage.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Exactly. Here's a tidbit I recently stumbled across from a British site:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/index.html
    The Brit H/K model nomenclature is as follows:
    AVR3000=210...AVR4000=310...AVR5000=510
    Check the power test results for the 3000/210 and you will find the following:
    H/K RMS power claim = 50W x 2---40W x 5
    Test output at onset of clipping: 78.3W @ 0.73% THD (8 Ohms)
    Fidelity Firewall output (ideally should be very similar to the above): 72.8W @ 0.06% THD (8 Ohms)
    H/K's stay on spec. delivering much more than their posted ratings (150% in the AVR210 if you avg. the two results).
    REASONABLE extrapolations for other models would yield the following approaching 1% distortion @ 8 Ohms:
    310 (60W x 2---50W x 5) = 90W +/- 5W
    510 (80W x 2---70W x 5) = 120W +/- 5W-10W
    Tests in various mags confirm these, especially the 510's.
    310 tests have been harder to come by.
    H/K's Fidelity holds to within a very few watts of audible distortion.
    Add slightly more power for the current x20 series. People who buy H/K know what they're paying and why.

5. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

I have heard that the HTDIII sub is the weak link in the set, what sub would you recommend in the $300-$400 range? Is there a good one in that range, one that is good for an apartment?

Thanks guys

6. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Well, 90W is definitely respectable for the price rang. BTW, that's heck a difference in what they quoted and what's actually available. I guess all the people in the know must be keeping HK afloat.

Anyway, there are some pretty good subs in the $300-400 range. The 2 powered subs that come up a lot is Adire Audio Rava ($399+S/H) and VTF-2 ($449 shipped from NAX.com). You can also get Acoustic Vision to build you a really good sub for that money. Of course if you have an old receiver that you can use to power the SVS 25-31CS B-stock it can be had for $309. There might also be some for sale at good price because a lot of people are upgrading to CS+ or PCi.

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Curt,

A little more than you're looking at, but I think the HSU Research VTF-2 is the one to beat in the (just under) US$500 category.

Regards,

8. Jeff_E

Jeff_E Extra

I have the HTD level III sub and am very happy, not sure what the fuss is all about.