HK320 and HTD III

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CurtJ, Apr 7, 2002.

1. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

Is a HK 320 receiver and HTDIII 5.1 a good match. Wondering if anyone else has tried this set up. I have read a few negative posts about the sub being the weakest link in the set, but I think I will give it a try.

My actual plan is to get Level III mains, center with Level 2 surrounds and Sub.

2. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Let me start out by saying that I would strongly recommend you not get the sub.
    HTD Level 3’s are very good value for HT uses. I have the Y-setup minus the sub. The towers has very good low end response and works well without a sub. The difference between the Y-setup minus the sub and what you described is only about $40. You can then save up for a good sub. That’s what I did and I’m now a happy owner of SVS. [​IMG]
    Don’t have any experience with the HK, my setup is hook up to an Onkyo 595. Looking at the spec for it, 65Wx2 or 55Wx5 seems a bit on the low side for a receiver that retails for $699. I think you are paying for its extra features. You should look at the features and decide if you will make use of them in the next 2-3 years. If not then you might be better off with another receiver.

3. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Art_C: take a gander in the receiver forum regarding the H/K 320 and 520. they (H/K) tend to understate the power of their amplification stage.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Exactly. Here's a tidbit I recently stumbled across from a British site:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/index.html
    The Brit H/K model nomenclature is as follows:
    AVR3000=210...AVR4000=310...AVR5000=510
    Check the power test results for the 3000/210 and you will find the following:
    H/K RMS power claim = 50W x 2---40W x 5
    Test output at onset of clipping: 78.3W @ 0.73% THD (8 Ohms)
    Fidelity Firewall output (ideally should be very similar to the above): 72.8W @ 0.06% THD (8 Ohms)
    H/K's stay on spec. delivering much more than their posted ratings (150% in the AVR210 if you avg. the two results).
    REASONABLE extrapolations for other models would yield the following approaching 1% distortion @ 8 Ohms:
    310 (60W x 2---50W x 5) = 90W +/- 5W
    510 (80W x 2---70W x 5) = 120W +/- 5W-10W
    Tests in various mags confirm these, especially the 510's.
    310 tests have been harder to come by.
    H/K's Fidelity holds to within a very few watts of audible distortion.
    Add slightly more power for the current x20 series. People who buy H/K know what they're paying and why.

5. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

I have heard that the HTDIII sub is the weak link in the set, what sub would you recommend in the $300-$400 range? Is there a good one in that range, one that is good for an apartment?

Thanks guys

6. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Well, 90W is definitely respectable for the price rang. BTW, that's heck a difference in what they quoted and what's actually available. I guess all the people in the know must be keeping HK afloat.

Anyway, there are some pretty good subs in the $300-400 range. The 2 powered subs that come up a lot is Adire Audio Rava ($399+S/H) and VTF-2 ($449 shipped from NAX.com). You can also get Acoustic Vision to build you a really good sub for that money. Of course if you have an old receiver that you can use to power the SVS 25-31CS B-stock it can be had for $309. There might also be some for sale at good price because a lot of people are upgrading to CS+ or PCi.

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Curt,

A little more than you're looking at, but I think the HSU Research VTF-2 is the one to beat in the (just under) US$500 category.

Regards,

8. Jeff_E

Jeff_E Extra

I have the HTD level III sub and am very happy, not sure what the fuss is all about.