HK125 Video Out Switching Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by scott-a-a, Aug 10, 2003.

1. scott-a-a

scott-a-a Auditioning

I'm hooking up my new HK AVR125 and I'm pretty sure its defective, but want to make sure I'm not screwing something up. I am unable to switch video sources (cable,DVD,VCR).

I have DVD to AVR via S-Video & Optical audio. DVD plays and sounds great, however, using any other inputs (Video1,2 or 3) for RCA outs from CABLE Box or VCR I can only get AUDIO, but TV stays blank(dark). I only have S-Video Monitor Out from AVR to TV.

Using RCA-Monitor Out I can get VIDEO on TV only if the S-Video is disconnected. Any thoughts before I tear it down??? Thanks.

2. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

IT needs to be all the same.

ALL RCA or all S-Video.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

"Using RCA-Monitor Out I can get VIDEO on TV only if the S-Video is disconnected"

From the receiver or TV?

Does your TV have 2 inputs? Some TV share the S-video input with the composite and will look for the higher input. It may be an issue with your TV.

4. The Void

The Void Agent

Don't tear it down. It is working correctly. Sounds like on your TV you have a Video input, lets say Video 1, that has an S-Video and RCA video input. If you plug an S-Video AND RCA Video cable into Video 1 at the same time, most TVs will only display the S-Video connection. When you unplug the S-Video cable from the TV, the RCA connection will be displayed.

Your reciever will switch S-Video inputs and output them to the TV through the S-Video "Monitor Out" jack on the receiver. To switch composite RCA video inputs with your reciever you will have to connect a cable from the RCA "Monitor Out" jack on the receiver to a different video input on your TV, don't use the same input that you are using for S-Video.

I know its strange but most recievers work this way. Some will convert composite RCA video to S-Video but not the majority. I have an AVR325 and I *think* it doesn't convert composite to S-Video, not sure though since I don't do any video switching with it right now.

5. scott-a-a

scott-a-a Auditioning

HEY EVERYONE THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

My Bad, just needed to stay apples-and-apples: either all RCA or all S-Video. My Cable box doesn't have S-Video out so I'll have to go composite.