HK125 $249 at Fry's or Denon 1603 same $ at 6th ave?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by larry mac, Oct 19, 2003.

1. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

Was planning on ordering a Denon 1603 ($249) and a Velodyne VX10 sub ($149) from 6th ave.com for my low-cost bedroom HT. Now I see an ad for a HK125 for $249 at Fry's today.

Probably should have been there when they opened 'cause they are bad about running out of sale items fast and no rainchecks. Plus I didn't know if the 125 has a 5 channel music capability, and have heard they tend to run hot.

Looked up some info on the 125 and was surprised at the looks; they have really improved the appearance over the years. That's a good lookin' unit and remote control.

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The avr125 doesn't run hot at all. It has Dolby Pro Logic II and Logic 7 for surrond music. This is my second Harman Kardon receiver and I couldn't be happier.
    It's a nice warm amp good for music.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If the 1603 has free shipping, then I'd probably opt for that, otherwise, the H/K is the way to go. If you could step up to the 225, that would be even better. I really do not like the way the x25 H/Ks looked, but the new models look much sharper.

4. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

When I did my research for the 125 or 225 I didn't find all that much differance between the two.
    The 225 has a few more inputs and outputs, onscreen programming, an easy set feature that replaces a sound level meter and a little more power. Here's a review I found on cnet.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Harman_Kardo...tml?tag=review

5. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I just bought 125 for my bedroom and its MORE than I expected.I have a 3803 so I looked at the 1603,it cannot compete with the 125 for music/5.1 audio,imo.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There won't be a difference in sound between the 125 and the 225, but the extra power will never be a bad thing. In a not so convincing way, it says this right in your link, in the last paragraph. "eke" out a few more SPLs... If you have enough power, then there's no problem, but when you find that you don't, well...you'll be shopping again, since neither of them have pre-amp outs.

7. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

At Soundcity.com you can get the HK 225 for like $240 shipped. It's a refurb.

J