HK vs. Yamaha vs. Onkyo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Han, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

Yet another request for receiver advice.

I want to get a mid to low price HT receiver from 300-600 range. I originally liked the Onkyo 700, but based on this forum I have heard that the power is very overstated, so I started looking for other options. I am actually using this 70% Ht and 30% music. Other things I am considering is future ability to use with 4 ohm speakers (yes even at this price range). I also prefer to have a "high current" amplifier. I currently have B&W ceiling speakers (don't laugh) for fr and rears (CCM65) with B&W LCR6 S2 for center and polk sub. This is what I have come up with:

Onkyo SR-700. lowest i can get is $599. rated at 100 or 110 w per channel but I have heard about power overtstated with onkyo's. Onkyo brochure and I think web site has this listed as a "high current" receiver, but no actual amps are given so not sure about that. According to these forums, onkyo is pretty decent for HT applications. Can it drive 4 ohm speakers??? Brochure also gives rating for 2 ohms so I assume it can.

HK 520- lowest I can find is down to $500+ship. Rated at 75 watts per channel, but supposely very conservative in its rating. Considered a true high power. I think it can drive 4 ohms speakers. Model 525 came out with DD EX but listed at about $900, which I'm not sure justify it's price difference. Any other differences? From searching the internet i have heard also that it's awesome for music but average to above average for HT. True?? Comments??? Remember, I use 70%HT:30%music. Do I need DD EX?

Yamaha 5560 (about $350-400) and v1300 (about $530 - $600 street price). Have been hearing a lot about Yamaha for HT applications. 5560 rated at 75 watts per channel and V1300 rated at around 100-110 watts, I think. Yamaha advertise not only 4 ohms capable but ability to mix and match between 4 and 8 ohm speakers. Is that a big deal? Can HK mix and match different ohm speakers as well? Are these considered high current receivers? Yamaha suppose to be great for HT and above average for music. has DD EX I believe.

Also been hearing about NAD T752 but its price of about $800 is on the high side for me, esp if it has QC issues, which to me is unaccaptabe for that price range.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I was recently faced with the same choice and went with the H/K AVR-520. One thing I liked was the main-in feature of the AVR-520 that would allow me to use it as a dedicated amp as a potential upgrade path to separates. It sounds great in both music and movies with my Ascend Acoustics 5.1 setup.

The only things I don't like about the AVR-520 so far are the remote and the display. I was disappointed that the display dimmer is only for the center of the display and not the side items - it kind of defeated the purpose of having a dimmer if you couldn't dim everything.

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'd pick the Yamaha if you're going for more than 75% HT, HK if you're going less. Dont know if the HK can do 4 ohm speakers, though.

4. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

HK love 4 ohm speakers.Its even in their FAQ ,they state 4 ohm speakers are not a problem with any of their receivers.That was one of the things I needed in a reciever 4 ohm capability,My fronts, Acoustic Research TWW 510's are 4's and my M&K centeis a 4 ohm.I did a lot of research into this,and the 520 turned out to be the best overall for my needs and price.

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

6. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

Thanks guys for the replies so far. Everyone has a good point. Sp far it seems that most of you guys are saying that HK is good, and then of course the periodic suggestion that Yamaha may be better for HT which has also be mentioned here before in these forums.

By the way, when people say Yamaha (or any receiver) is better at HT, what exactly are they referring to? Is it better crashes and booms? Frankyly that doesn't concern me too much since crashes and booms I have heard are about the same. What I am most concern about is actually voice clarity. I have a Kenwood DD5.1 receiver now with B&W center. The voice is still not as clear as I think it can get, although definitely better than with my old polk center. I think the Kenwood may not be up to snuff.

I hope I get more replies...thanks again

7. Jeff Ery

Jeff Ery Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha is reliable, clear ,and dynamic.....you might also check out the RXV730.....

8. Fletch

Fletch Agent

My Yammy gives a clearer sound when listening to HT than cds.And with DTS its the best i have heard yet.I use Klipsch speakers too which help the HT sound.My Yammy is about a year old,paid 350.00 at Sound Advice in Jax. Fla.It also has 6 ch. output for DVD-A that sounds unreal.85 wattsx5 or 110 x 2.Model-540 but can t remember the prefix letters. Hope this helps.

9. Michael Preyer

I can't comment on the HK. But I recently purchased the Yammy 5560, so I can give you my opinion on that. I've watched about 15 movies through it in the past two weeks. My HT system is in a pretty large room (approx 28' X 15'). I have no trouble filling the room with good solid clean sound, so power is not an issue. If fact, I believe that Yamaha is fair, if not moderate, in their power ratings. Some people say they don't like the sound produced by the Yamaha, but I have no issues with the sound I am hearing. I also like many of the features of the Yammy like the high current capability, the ability to assign inputs, etc. It also has pre-amp out on every channel. I doubt that's something I will ever use, but that may be important to you for future upgrades.

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I have a Yamaha RX-V1200, and I will unfailingly recommend Yamaha (anything middle of the line and up especially) to anyone who puts 60-70% or more usage on Home Theater. Yamaha's are great. They sound great, look good, and are one of the most reliable brands out there.

11. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

Does the HK520 allow individual 4 ohm selection for each channle. Meaning, can I run 4 ohms for fronts and 8 ohms for rear and center?

12. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

the 320/520 are great units. The 520 is even better since it has main-in loops(something which HK yanked from the 525). This makes the 520 quite a popular unit. There isnt any switch on them, or menu setting for speaker ohm

13. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha receivers will drive 4ohm speakers no problem.Yamaha's are very reliable and are dynamic for home theater.They design their own decoding chips which will decode anything reliably witout audio dropouts.

14. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

does the yammy 5560 do component switching? what about HK 520?

do either of these do 4 or 5 channel stereo?

so hard to decide....

still never got an answer about whether with the HK, you can have front 4 ohms with rear and center 8 ohms

15. Rick_FL

steve, both do component switching (35mhz bandwidth on the HK)

the HK does 5 and 7 channel stereo. not sure about the yammy. As far as 4ohms goes, it can power 4 ohm speakers, I dont see why couldn't mix 4 ohm and 8 ohm.

16. Ryan.w.d

Ryan.w.d Auditioning

I do not have either receiver you are comparing but I do have the older HK AVR 500. I swithced out my older Dolby Digital only Yamaha ( sorry I forgot the model ) which I believe had 60 watts x 5 @ 8ohm's to my HK and wow what a difference. When I auditioned the HK comparing them to Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha I had noticed a warmth in sound that I really did not hear in the other receivers. My only complaint has been after hearing $1000+ systems my HK lacks in delivering that crisp center channel clarity in the more expensive units. I guess that means time to buy an amp! Anyways for the money I give the HK a big thumbs up![​IMG]

17. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

that crisp center channel clarity is exactly what i am looking for

Also, with component switching, are they high band (HD compatible) for HK and yamaha?

18. Rick_FL

19. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

went to circuit city to listen to HK and onko. They have a new policy at this store that does not allow anyone, even circuit city personnel to change out DVD. So the only dvd they had in the machines were Santana. So there is no way to audition HT, especially center vocals in dialogs.

Arrgh!!!

Best Buy to audition Yamaha.. they are not hooked up to audition!!!

20. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer