What's new

HK vs Marantz in the $400-700 range (1 Viewer)

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
What are my options here? Any recommendations or warnings?

6.1 isn't a requirement, especially if it isn't well presented. It's going to be used about 50/50 music and HT, so I want something that works well on both.

Thanks.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Both make great receivers. Difficult to choose between them. You'll probably be happy with either depending on the bells and whistles you want, need, choose. That's up to you, though. You're going to get a lot of people on both sides- some saying watch out for QC issues- again with both companies. When I bought my HK 225, I was told that the current line of Marantz receivers were not up to par. Then again, someone hear at HTF told me the same of the HK's. From what I've read- the new HK's are fine (transition time is over as far as QC issues), but there has been some talk on cost cutting with the new Marantz machines vs. the older models- with some people prefering the sound of the older models. Do a search on this forum for both companies- you will get a lot of info. My advice- go out and listen to them with the same speakers, at the same volume, etc.. In the end, though, I think it's the speakers that make the biggest difference anyway when comparing similar priced receivers from two great companies. Good luck!

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Mike:

With so much time dedicated to music, definitely consider the Marantz line up. There were some (highly exaggerated) difficulties when the line first came out (the x200 line) but those have long since been resolved.

I've also heard some new models in the new line (x300) and it looks like Marantz has learned from their mistakes, as the new line looks and sounds very solid.

I think a head-to-head with H/K and Marantz would convince you.

/Jeff

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

I would not say the current line from either of them is not up to par, but I do feel that the previous generation of Marantz may sound a bit better.

I bought my 6200 the week they hit the stores 1 year ago, and I have yet to have any issues with it. There may have been some bad "batches" but overall, I don't think quality is an issue.

I have no experience with H/K beyond auditioning, but I was very pleased with their sound and features.

Between the two, it came down to price vs features, and Marantz won, though it was very close (vs a 510).

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Mike-
On Wednesday I purchased the Marantz SR4200 for $300. I talked them down a little bit. I am very pleased with it. Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks