HK users Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose G, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I have to decide between the 510 and the 320. I don't really need 7.1, and my current speakers are only rated to 75 watts. I listen more to music and when I do HT it will not be at high, high volume. I can get the 310 and 220 also, but thought the extra watts would be a nice change. Between the 310 and the 320- is 7.1 the only real difference? Can I upgrade the 320 like I can the 510? Or should I simply save some buck and get the 220(PLII?) and upgrade to seperates for music when I can afford it- which may be never. (Paul if you are reading this and emailed me, I'm posting because I can't get to my e mail right now as I am away from home). Thanks to all in advance for the advice.

Jose
    PS- My HK will be in an armoire and I was told they run hot- will this be a problem? It will be on it's own shelf with space above and in the rear.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Jose,
    Here's a copy of the e-mail I sent you last night.
    Hi Jose,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure someday I'll be quizzing you for some info. I need.
    I own the 510 and 310. I can heartily recommend either or any H/K for that matter. You need not concern yourself over the power, even with the 510. Unless you would be driving your system to outrageously high levels or should happen to turn on your system accidentally with the volume wide open, you should not have any worries.
    In terms of the 510 and 310, there is no PLII with the older x10 series. Logic 7 Music and Cinema more than compensate however and I prefer them. And yes, you are limited to 5.1 processing and amplification.
    That is the advantage of the x20 series with it's 7.1 decoding and pre-outs. Of course you would need another amp for the 320 for the full setup but it gives you something to build towards. However, if you know that you will not be going for 7.1 for awhile, I have to say I like the 510 simply because it has superb amps and can be run as a 5 channel amp because of the Main Ins.
    An investment in any of the 5 series models means you always have a 5 channel amp for use no matter what future purchases you may make in terms of preamps or even other receivers. I know of very few receivers nowadays that allow this, at least in this price range.
    My 510 is paired with an 855A amp from Parasound and I cannot imagine using any more power between these two...not for the foreseeable future anyway. [​IMG]
    If you decide that this kind of upgradability is not as important now, then the 310 is a superb performer. I tested both of my H/K's against each other both as standalone receivers and also as preamps with the Parasound using the same setups. After running numerous tests I actually slightly preferred the sound processing of my 310 over the 510, especially in the upper range. Of course any of this could have been due to slight variations in these units and another two receivers may have yielded something very different.
    What I can say is that amp quality and sound processing are very consistent with H/K, that is, very high quality. Also, H/K service is very good and reliable.
    To sum up, I guess I would vote #1 for the 510 for the reasons stated. #2 would depend on what was more important...saving some money or having the better upgrade path. Clearly the 320 is a better receiver than the 310 in terms of processing modes, etc. but the 310 does save you some $ and still delivers a great deal of value.
    I can tell you some specifics on the 310 and 510 in terms of power:
    The 510 has been shown to output 92Wx5 @ 8 Ohms , 125Wx5 @ 6 ohms , 155Wx5 @ 4 Ohms ...all at 0.1% THD. The 74W figure from Sound & Vision was for a lower THD. Factory rating 80Wx2, 70Wx5 @ 8 ohms.
    The 310 outputs 72Wx5 @ 8 Ohms, 95Wx5 @ 6 Ohms, 118Wx5 @ 4 Ohms...all at 0.1% THD.
    Not bad for a 60Wx2, 50Wx5 @ 8 Ohms rated receiver.
    So you will know...there is only a 1.33dB difference on average between the two receivers at the same volume setting when properly calibrated. The 310 would certainly run your BA's to the fullest.
    I wish you well in your decision. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
    Best regards,
    Paul

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello again,

I see from your post that you've included a few things not in the e-mail you sent.

As to the heat, my 510 sits in a small AV stand on a shelf under the TV. It is open front and back but has only about 2.5" of top clearance. I've never had a problem. Now, I have the 855A in the bottom compartment and paired with the 510 so heat is no longer an issue with the H/K. And luckily it's not an issue with the amp either.

And there is a slight difference in power between the 310 and 320 as well as the 7.1 processing but it is negligible in real terms.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'upgrading the 320 like I can the 510'. Can you elaborate?

Lastly, as in my e-mail reply, the issue of PLII is just not on my radar with the x10 series having Logic 7 Music & Cinema modes which I personally prefer. Of course the x20's do throw in PLII as well.

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Paul,
    Thanks for the info. By "upgrade" I was thinking of pairing the HK with an amp for extra power, if needed, in the hopefully not too distant future. The info you gave was great and has helped a lot. One of those HK's will be in my living room very soon.
    Thanks again,
    Jose