What's new

HK triple crossover settings (1 Viewer)

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone who knows this the HK325/525 and understands this setting help me?
The insert with the receiver says

Check the Specifications section of the Owner’s Manual for your speakers to find the
lowest frequency the speakers are capable of reproducing.
2. Enter the setting for the highest setting for any speaker in each of the three groups
(front/center/surround) in the Speaker Setup menu, as shown in the Owner’s Manual.

This seems to imply that if my speakers go down to 60Hz, for example, that I would set the crossover at 60HZ. But I've always understood that a crossover should be set an octave above that low-end frequency.

So are the HK instructions grossly incorrect, or does their crossover work differently from everyone else's?

Thanks,
Scott

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
I searched all the threads I could find on the subject, but nothing that addressed this in particular.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it is recomended to set the crossover about one octave above the lowest range a speaker can handle.
However I wouldn't rely on manufacturers publications.I would run a test tone[Avia has a sweep from 200hz down]and make a determanition that way.I would measure it at the listening position,as that is where you listen to them anyway.What kind of speakers are you using?
Also don't use different values for the 3 groups,as the so called triple crossover is not available on the lowpass section[sw].A stupid mistake on HK's part pretty much defeats the reason to advertise as such.

StephenL

Second Unit
Good articles about crossover frequencies:

Sound & Vision magazine "Behind the Numbers: Digital Sound Receivers" (See "Bass Management on page 3)
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity: Miscellaneous Ramblings on Subwoofer Crossover Frequencies
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-9-2002.html
"If you want consistent bass response from each channel of your 5.1 system, in our opinion, you're best to set all speakers to "Small", set them all to the same crossover point, and set that point no lower than what you are comfortable throwing away from the LFE channel."
Colin Miller and Brian Florian

Outlaw Audio's ICBM manual, page 13, has a table with typical crossover settings for common speaker types. These are general guidelines.
http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/icbm_manual.html
Large tower speaker with one 12- or 15-inch woofer, or two 10-inch woofers: Bypass or 40 Hz
Small tower speaker with one 10-inch woofer or two 8-inch woofers: 40 Hz
Small tower or large bookshelf speaker with one 8-inch woofer or two 6-inch woofers: 60 Hz
Bookshelf speaker with one 6-inch woofer or two 5-inch woofers: 80 Hz
Bookshelf speaker with one 5-inch woofer or two 4-inch woofers: 100 Hz
Satellite speaker with one 4-inch woofer or one or two 3.5-inch woofers: 120 Hz

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
I read the ICBM information. It looked easier to apply - take the speaker's +/-3dB low end response, add 10Hz, and use the next highest available setting. On the other hand, it contradicts the idea of setting it an octave higher than the that same low end response point. If the product is built for bass management, I have to assume they know what they are talking about. (Granted, I bought an HK, not an ICBM.) Now I see why the final answer is so often "experiment and see what sounds best." Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Once octave is a rule of thumb, not a hard and fast rule, and may still yeild imperfect results due to room effect. If we are talking about a 6dB/octave slope, then often a full octave may be necessary for a given setup, but if you are dealing with a 12dB or higher slope, you may only need 1/2 octave to achieve good results. It all depends on the gear in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks