What's new

HK Signature 2.0 or AVR-320 as HT pre-amp? (1 Viewer)

MarkS

Agent
Can pick either up remanufactured on eBay from HarmonDirect for about $400.

I have read about some component switching limitations, no treble boost and a few other odd reliability quirks about the Signaure 2.0 pre-amp. Have not heard too much on the AVR-320. I know it can do 7.1, but realistically I will be using 5.1 for the foreseeable future. I probably will not use the amp portion, except maybe to power the rear surround speakers.

My plans are to use one or the other as a pre-amp to front my current HK PA-5800. I am building a new HT system in my basement and this would be the foundation.

All comments and input are appreciated. If anyone else can recommend a $400ish pre-amp solution that does DTS and DD that would be great too!

-mbs

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I'm using the 320 as a preamp and it does a great job. The 2.0 has fewer features and limitations which makes the 320 the winner.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Does the 320 have the capability to use its internal amps while at the same time use the preouts for an outboard amp? I know the 520 can do this. To me, that would be huge advantage in getting the 520 over the 320. You could biamp speakers using the internal amps of the 520 along with the PA5800 (which is probably the same amp section IN the 520).

Dan HH

Auditioning
I own a signature 2.0 and tried replacing it with a 320 to take advantage of DPL2 and Logic7. I auditioned the 320 in my system using the same Rotel amps I use with the signature 2.0.

Unfortunately, while the 320 was very nice for home theater, I was very disappointed with it for stereo 2 channel music listening. In my opinion, it was quite muddy compared with the signature 2.0. It lacked the signature 2.0's soundstaging and clarity.

While I think the 320 is a great value for a modern receiver with great internal amps and all the latest formats, in my opinion the signature 2.0 sounds better, especially for music. But, the signature 2.0 is much more limited feature wise, so only you can decide. It probably comes down to how you plan to use it. Primarily for music I would choose the signature. Primarily for home theater, maybe go for the 320.

Dan

MarkS

Agent
Thanks for all the feedback and input.

Since I use my system for about 80% HT and 20% music - it's the 320 for me.

DanHH: if you haven't sold you're 320 yet, let's talk.

-mbs

Dan HH

Auditioning
MarkS,

Sorry, but my 320 has already gone back to the store. I bought it from a dealer with a 30 day return policy.

$400 from Harman Audio (harmanaudio.com) is a pretty good deal on a refurb. You can also get it new in box from an authorized dealer for $499. Check out jandr.com (you will need to have them e-mail the price quote). In my experience, Circuit City will match the jandr.com quote if you bring a printout of the e-mail.

Good luck with the 320. For your needs I think it will fit the bill nicely, especially Logic7 for 2 channel movies and TV.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks