HK Sig 2.0 Pre/Pro....Opinions please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian O, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Apr 27, 1999
    I saw this for $400 at J and R and am contemplating it. I currently am using a Denon 3300 as a pre/pro hooked to a HK 5800 5 channel amp and my Monitor Audio Silver 5 Mains.
    What if any diffence might I notice if I was to upgrade. I really like the sound of the HK receivers so this has my attention.
  2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Dec 8, 1998
    I also have a denon 3300 and the HK 5800 amp. I just recently added a musical fidelity amp to take over for the mains and it did wonders for my 2 channel sound. If you don't go for the pre amp you might consider adding a more refined amp for the mains. Feature wise you're not gaining much with the 2.0 but I can't comment on sound quality b.t the two....damn tempting price though isn't it
    FYI here's a "review" of the 2.0
    [Edited last by Andrew Pratt on August 18, 2001 at 10:39 PM]
  3. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Jun 28, 2001

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Jun 15, 2000
    I had one for about a week. I returned it. I suggest you don't waste your time with one.
    Here were my problems with it:
    First, the remote sucks. Dark buttons on a dark background. No backlight. Yeah, you can replace it with any number of remotes, but I shouldn't have to.
    Second, the tuner was subpar. It did not receive many stations, certainly not as many as my Yamaha 2092's tuner. In addition, certain stations had a buzz in a surround channel that wouldn't go away.
    Third, if you turned the volume down to zero, the thing sent a pulse of low frequency info (thump) to my FSR-18 that literally shook pictures off my walls.
    Fourth, the volume would sometimes go up when I moved it down, and vice versa.
    Fifth, the display is tiny. You can't read it from 8 feet away.
    Sixth, it was very slow to respond to any input. Hit a button, wait a second, then it makes the change.
    Overal, it had too many quirks to justify keeping. There's a reason it's $400.
    Also, every time you did anything with it, be it change the volume, input, level, etc., it made a really annoynig "chirp."
    I ended up getting a Pasaround amp and using my Yamaha 2092 as a pre/pro. Sounds as good as the HK Sig 2.0/Sig Amp combo and without its quirks. Less expensive, too.
    [Edited last by Erik_C on August 19, 2001 at 08:23 PM]