1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HK sig 2.0/2.1 bundle or Sony 777es?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Samsel, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Doug Samsel

Doug Samsel Extra

What would you guys choose for $1000? Thanks Doug

2. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

I've owned 4 ( four!) DA777ES receivers and the sound is phenomenal, especially in stereo. I've listened to a lot of receivers at home - Sony 444es, Denon 3802, Marantz SR-18EX, Onkyo 696 and others - and the Sony killed them all soundwise. The problem with the Sony is the quality control. All 4 units - 2 new, 2 refurbished - were defective. One had no sound at power-up, another had distortion in the left rear speaker and the other two had the front channels totally unbalanced ( volume on the left channel was much higher than on the right one when the balance was set in middle position. setting the volume right would decrease the sound quality - the level for the front channels can't be set individually like on the Onkyo receivers for example).
    I got rid of all 4 and instead I bought a Sony TA-N9000ES amp - $469 open box, 8 year extended warranty - and will add the Outlaw 950 preamp in October for a total of about $1500. The HK preamp is outdated, better get the HK amp and wait for the Outlaw preamp.
    By the way, where did you find the 777ES for $1000? Used it should cost around $800 or less.
    Razvan

3. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I dont have the 2.1 yet (ordering it tommorow) but I can say that the 2.0 is one hell of a piece of gear thats a steal at $400.00. If 5.1 prosscesing is all you need ,defiantly go with the signature setup. Outdated? maybee to some. One things for sure I wont be going back to an intergrated unit again.
    [Edited last by MarkO on September 02, 2001 at 12:16 AM]

4. Doug Samsel

Doug Samsel Extra

by the time i pay shipping on the 777 it will run right at $900. When does the outlaw come out?

5. Razvan V

The Outlaw will probably be out in October. The 777 is used or new?
    Razvan

6. Doug Samsel

Doug Samsel Extra

used with receipt, less than year old.

7. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

I have the Sony STR-DA777ES and I am still very happy with it. I still think it is one of the best receivers ever made. Check out this web page to upgrade the firmware and find out all kinds of tips and tweaks.
    www.cronus.spaceports.com/~mobetta/SonySTRDA777ES.htm
    I would look around, you can find the 777es usually for around $800 or so.

8. Razvan V

I agree that the 777 is one of the best receivers ever made - to me it sounded better in stereo than the B&K 307. But combine the Sony TA-N9000ES amp with a good preamp - the Outlaw 950?- and it will probably sound better than the 777 in both stereo and 5.1 for $5-600 more than the 777. My problem with the 777 is that I tried 4 of them and all 4 were defective. That's why I gave up on it but because I liked its sound so much I decided to get the TA-N9000ES amp and combine it later with a preamp - most likely the new Outlaw. I tried the TA-N9000ES with the Parasound 1800 preamp and it sounded just as good as the 777 in stereo while in 5.1 the combo was much better. My advice: get the Sony amp or the H/K amp and wait for the the Outlaw preamp.
    Razvan

9. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

In regards to the HK 2.1 being outdated, what is out dated about 5.1 DD/DTS? Does the introduction of 6.1 or 7.1 make 5.1 outdated? Last I checked, there is not one movie available that I cannot play on my sytem in 5.1 DD/DTS. I would go with the HK combo if I were the poster. First off you can upgrade either piece later if you see fit. Secondly, you would over time, do yourself a favor by not worrying about the feature of the month and build your hometheater like folks build their 2-channel systems and that's by sticking to the basics of good power, good speakers, signal clarity and letting the software dictate when your current HT setup is outdated and in my opinion, the software hasn't dictated a switch is necessary yet. The HK unit already has shown that it's an excellent sounding pre/pro and it's documented quite well at that. If you shop like I shop then I would wait until the people who are ready to jump on the Outlaw to do so and let them tell us about the possible bugs and short comings about this unit and most of all how it sounds in STEREO MUSIC, which is most important to me because MOST of the time if it sounds excellent in musical applications then HT should blow your mind!! Until then, you could buy the HK units for a steal and probably break even if you sell it for another upgrade later if you see fit.
    As far as the Sony amp goes, that choice could be a little nervous depending on what speakers you are using with it and how you play your source material. I've read that some feel that the Sony amp runs out of gas when faced with demanding loads. You might want to research that aspect of the Sony amps reputation before you jump on it. If that's true than you might want to look else where for good quality power.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!
    [Edited last by Martice on September 03, 2001 at 07:35 AM]
    [Edited last by Martice on September 03, 2001 at 07:37 AM]