What's new

HK PA2000 and AVR520 - use amp for rears or fronts? (1 Viewer)

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
I just setup the Harman Kardon avr520 receiver and the pa2000 amp. I am planning on running the 2 front speakers from the pa2000 (using the preamp outs) and the 2 rears, and center from the avr520. However, I have read about setups where people use the pa2000 for the rears and the avr520 for the fronts.

Which is the preferred way? I would appreciate a good explanation. Thanks.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Boris-

I think that the PA-2000 will do quite good hooked up with the front channels giving eack speaker 100 watts (stereo bridged). I for one like better sound coming IN FRONT of me than on my sides.

Just my 2 cents.

Angelo

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
Boris,

Since you're now 7.1 capable why not just commit the PA2000 to the SBL and SBR? I am assuming that's why you have the PA2000. I don't see that the PA2000's 2x100W mode would be that much of an advantage over the internal 75W L/R available in the receiver unless it has vastly better peak handling specs.

How much did you pay for your PA2000?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Boris,
You can re-assign 2 channels of the 520 to power the rears using the Main-Amp inputs of the 520 and use the pre-outs(as you have already considered) to the PA2000 to run the fronts. Put the power of the 2000 where it is needed more, the front channels. That way you can have 7.1 and give your main speakers more power at the same time. It will probably take some of the load off of the receiver as well because the back surrounds are not as demanding as the front channels on the 520's amp section, thus possibly improving performance all around.

Best of Luck,
Dalton

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Dalton

How exactly do you do us and a two channel amp to power the fronts and use the front channels of the 520 to run the rear surround speakers.

Is there any diagrams you could so me?

Thanks

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Another vote here for using the PA2000's for the fronts.

Bob, the AVR520 has pre-out/main-in loops. That means you can remove the RCA jumpers on the back that connect each channel's out to each in and use the receivers amplifiers for anything you want. In this case, you'd decouple the front left and right out/in loops and connect the pre-amp outs to the PA2000. Then you'd take the pre-outs for the SBL and SBR channels and connect them to what used to be the inputs for the front left/right. Now the front left/right speaker terminals on the receiver are actually for your SBL/SBR speakers. I hope this makes sense!

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
Very interesting. Unfortunately I do not have enough room for a 7.1. So for now I will stick with a 5.1.

Can I loop the SR and SL (not SBR/SBL) preamp outs into the 6 channel direct input for the front speakers, and then use the front speaker terminals for my rear speakers? Will this make any difference?

Thanks for all the info.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Can I loop the SR and SL (not SBR/SBL) preamp outs into the 6 channel direct input for the front speakers, and then use the front speaker terminals for my rear speakers? Will this make any difference?
Into the 6 channel direct input? No, because then you'd have to select the 6 channel input as the source. You want to go straight to the amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks