HK or NAD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnHa, Nov 19, 2003.

1. JohnHa

JohnHa Agent

Ok, I'm looking at getting a complete ascend accoustics speaker set. 4 cbm-170s and 1 cmt-340c. I found a web site that has a refurb NAD T742 for $399.20. On the same site they have an HK AVR-325 for $525.13. Which sounds like the better deal? They are both 50wpc. The HK is a 7.1 receiver, which isn't really necessary for the size of the room I'll be putting it in, but could be nice for future upgrade ability. I'm not very familiar with NAD components, but alot of people on these forums recommend them. Will either of these work well with the speakers listed above, or do I need more wpc to push them?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Both of them are very musical and true to their wattage ratings but NAD has the upper hand in build quality, IMHO. I would choose NAD in a hearbeat.

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

The HK offers 7.1 processing so the future upgrade ability is better. Plus I like the HK's Logic 7 feature, component video switching, multizone option, digital outputs and assignable digital inputs. The NAD's digital inputs are fixed. The optical inputs are fixed to DVD and Satellite while the coax inputs are fixed to CD and VCR. That wouldn't work for me.

Both have power true to their ratings and I've read that the NAD has a clearer sound. I've never heard one myself.

Based on my needs, I'd get (and do have) the HK 325. By the way $525 is way too much to pay for a refurbed 325. You can get a new one from an authorized dealer for $419 here