What's new

HK Legends Game of Death (1 Viewer)

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
I finally purchased a PAL/NTSC DVD player, the new Malata DVP-520. I noticed something on the documentary on the second disc (Game of Death), various clips and interviews will appear either horizontally or vertically squeezed...is this intentional? I find it somewhat distracting, and am not sure if it is my player or if it was done purposely.

I would appreciate any input. Also note, I have a 52" 4:3 rear projection Sony.

Thanks

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
no. I have the discs and a N996 (520 precursor). Everything looks normal except I have to apply the "camera" or "movie" filter to the interviews. some might be zoomed in full frame but not stretched.

give me an example, i can run it through my player for ya

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for replying Chris.

I check the the docu. again, and the first time it occurs is on photos, at 03:30-03:42, here the images are taller than normal. Then, the first footage is at 09:49-09:57, again the footage is squeezed to appear very tall. Then, during a recently taped video interview, the image again appears sqeezed from left to right @ chap. 2, 14:24.

This problem occurs at various other points throughout too.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I don't claim to know why HKL do this, but it occurs on other titles' documentaries, too, where movie clips shot in 2.35 are stretched to fill a 16x9 frame. Utterly pointless when you consider that in the various documentaries a lot of 2.35 clips are presented in their original dimensions anyway!

Also on occasion, a few non-anamorphic 16x9 clips are squashed into a 16x9 frame to appear like 2.35. Why? God knows. At least HKL present the actual movies in their respective OARs (apart from a couple of early titles, but even these will be replaced very soon).

Best not to worry about the apparently random stretching/squashing and praise HKL for doing the usual sterling job on GoD - and a 2-disc Way of the Dragon (Return of the Dragon to those across the pond) Platinum re-release is due before the end of the year. Why when the original disc was so good? Maybe HKL found long-lost film elements that they feel are so important they warranted a re-release - surely it can't be just for a new documentary, as everything seems to have been said about the work, life and loves of the 'Little Dragon' on other DVDs. Oh well, we wait and see...

PS
That Project A Platinum Edition is ACE!!!

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I was more worried that my new player (Malata DVP-520) was defective, though this docu. is the only place on either disc that it occurs...not really a big deal.

HKL was my primary reason for getting a PAL/NTSC player, I've recieved GoD and Encounters of the Spooky Kind...My Project A is being shipped as I write this...can't wait!

Later

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Hey Jim.. Just checked my copy with your timecodes and yes some are stretched and squished (I didn't see the Chapter 2 14 minute one though). It is normal and it's just the source material HKL got from Media Asia. Eh.. next time let me know that I have to climb five stories to get to it :)
BTW. If anyones is interested, I still have a few sealed HKL DVDs I want to get rid of (OUATIC 1+2, Tai Chi Boxer, Scorpion King, and City Hunter). I will match the lowest online price (minus shipping). If this is inappropriate Mods, please delete!

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about that Chris, but hey, you made it!:)
Thanks for checking. It seemed weird that only the docu. would be that way if it was my player, plus I just recieved Encounters of the Spooky Kind, and the interview with Sammo does the same thing...not a biggie, HKL is still supreme in my book.

Jerome

Second Unit
I think the problem comes from HKL and not Media Asia. During the editing of the Documentary they just forgot to uniform the aspect ratio of the different video sources and aplly a 16/9 filter when necessary.

Too bad.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Good Point Jerome! Still, I am not complaining about it. HKL does have it's problems that are slowly (hopefully) being worked out as time goes on (wrong aspect ratios, cropping, bad dubs, subtitle errors)

And my favorite that I just noticed. On the Project A DVD, the first logo that comes on at the start of the disc says "PLATINIUM EDITION". It's so freakin annoying. It goes by pretty quick though.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I pointed out the dodgy 'Platinium' spelling to a mate of mine just yesterday when watching Project A again. And it pisses me off too! Still shows that HKL are a small, fledgling company, but the actual work they do outshines any small errors like the ones mentioned on this thread. Gonna get 'Prodigal Son' any day now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks