HK Learning Remotes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Baldemar Garcia, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else have problems getting their HK remotes to learn codes? Just wondering as I've had no luck. I got my 320 from Fry's, who are infamous for reselling returned goods as new. I noticed my box had been opened, but only today did I figure out why. Looks like they swapped remotes with my box, as nothing was disturbed except for a ripped bag for the remote (and a missing Duracell). Do these remotes come with a plastic protective cover like the receiver (over the rcvr display)? Might be the final clue to confirm my suspicion. Thanks for any help.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    This sounds like two different questions, what does programming the learning remote have to do with reselling returned goods? Do you suspect that the remote was sold, found to be defective and returned? I doubt that. I have an H/K receiver which came with a learning remote and while most of the time learning isn't a problem it just isn't compatible with some codes.

3. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

yah, the remote come with protective covers over the top and bottom portions. I've not had no problem programming mine

4. Baldemar Garcia

Well Carl,

As I said, the box for the receiver appeared to have been previously opened; it was re-taped. But upon giving the insides a quick inspect, nothing seemed abused. So I assumed the tape had come loose, and new tape was applied. But when I did the real unpacking, it was obvious some tampering had gone on. But nothing on the receiver itself, so no big deal. The package for the remote had been opened, so I now believe that this apparently bad remote had gone home with someone else's receiver, and brought back to Fry's for a swap. I've tried teaching it two codes, both from a Pioneer learner, and it won't take.

If you or someone else cares to confirm, here's what I'm seeing. Press 'source' and learn, amber light begins to blink. Press button on AVR remote that will LEARN a code, amber light should stay on (quit blinking). Press button on teaching remote until solid amber light turns green and blinks three times. Well, I never get to the solid amber light in step two. It only stays solid for as long as I hold down the 'to LEARN' button. When I release it starts blinking amber again. Is this correct?

Rick,
    Thanks for the info. I may have enough evidence to convict.

5. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

btw, some of the keys aren't programmable. if you press a key that isnt, the amber light will turn solid for a brief moment, then begin to flash again

6. Baldemar Garcia

Rick,
    You sir, are now my HK customer service rep [​IMG] That was exactly it! Where did you learn this; it isn't mentioned in the manual. Thanks a lot.
    Gotta go cancel a lawsuit [​IMG]