What's new

HK film review: INTERNAL AFFAIRS (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
TITLE: INTERNAL AFFAIRS (a.k.a WOO JEE-AN DOW)
================================================== ==========
DIRECTOR: ANDREW LAU ZHAN-WAI, MARK MAK
Stars: TONY LEUNG(BULLET IN THE HEAD, HARD BOILED, TOKYO RAIDERS), ANDY LAU(FULLTIME KILLER, RUNNING OUT OF TIME), ERIC TSANG(THREE), ANTHONY WONG(THE UNTOLD STORY, BEAST COP)
GUEST STARS: SAMMY CHENG(WU YEN), KELLY CHAN, CHAN KUN-HEI
PRODUCTION STUDIO: MEDIA ASIA(HK) FILM PRODUCTIONS
MOVIE GENERE: DRAMA, ACTION
------------------------------------------------------------
SINGAPORE rating: PG-uncut (For drug content, violent content, tense moment)
Possible MPAA rating: R
Widescreen Ratio: 2.35:1
Language: TAIWANESE MANDARIN dubbed DD5.1-SINGAPORE version, CANTONESE DD5.1-HONGKONG version
Running time: 100mins approx.
"SPLIT PERSONALITIES LEADS A SOUL TO NO WHERE..."

LAU KIN-MING(played by ANDY LAU) is a top cop in the police force as well as a mole planted by triad leader HAN(played by ERIC TSANG).
CHAN WENG-YAN(played by TONY LEUNG) is a senior triad member in HAN's organisation which deals with major crimes such as drug dealing.YAN is a mole planted by the police force on the monitoring of HAN's movement.

Both YAN and MING served under a senoir police leader WONG(played by ANTHONY WONG).

After a major drug deal that made HAN's lose's several million dollars,MING gets ordered by HAN to find out who's the mole in the group.
YAN and Officer WONG's life is in great danger. Officer WONG did not survive,after his meet up with YAN,while both of them were ambushed by triad members.

The only person who knew YAN's identity is now gone.He is now on his own to protect his identity as well his own safety...

VIEW-
This film is the best that i have seen ever since DOUBLE TAP. Great dramatic moment as well as emotional grasping character development on the two key character and plot.
The tear-jerking moment happens when YAN sees his beloved boss,superior dies in front of him falling from high floor. Cross fire breaks out when the police arrives at the crime scene,when the triad members were about to retreat. Although YAN is in the middle of cross fire,his eye keeps on focusing on Officer WONG'S dead body...one great scene that tries to depict as if WONG is just like next of kin to YAN...sob...sob...

Although i feel that the character development on the two main character is nicely done,i still find that it is not enough...especially on those other characters surrounding YAN and MING...
Such as the ex-gal that YAN met who is accompanied by a little girl.Some viewers may already sense that the little girl is YAN's daughter before he breaks off with this lady.

I presume...if i am not wrong,these parts were deliberately done by the film makers so that when it is time to release the movie in DVD or other software format,they can release a director's cut to trigger additional earnings...which is now a common trend to HK productions.

HK films are often lack of good script and screen play...critically acclaimed ones happens only once in a few years or months,compare to average 10 HK new films release per month in these few years.
Most recent productions such as THREE,THE EYE and INTERNAL AFFAIRS received applause from critics.Coming soon will be HERO directed by ZHANG YI-MOU.

Although the origin of film negative used are KODAK THEATRICAL FILM negative,theatrical presentation quality is still lacking...irregular flesh tones + washed out colors...quite terrible picture presentation. Wonder if it is because that the film negative was UN-PROFESSIONALLY developed/processed by SHAW BROTHERS HK?
Picture quality is bad...but not the sound.Original cantonese version could be more better.The taiwanese mandarin dubbed track is not bad either.

To a action drama,INTERNAL AFFAIRS really stands out from the crowd,compare to recent action offerings such as SO CLOSE or FULLTIME KILLER.
Highly recommended to those who have previously seen DOUBLE TAP.

FILM SCORE: 4 out of five

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review Yang. I looking forward to seeing this. I just pray that someone other than Miramax can release this in the U.S. I want to see the film you saw not their butchered version.

YANG

Screenwriter
MIRAMAX is not the only studio that cuts original HK version of films...CTHV and NEWLINE are doing the editing as well on other HK productions such as JACKIE CHAN's films and ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA series...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks