?? HK DPR2005, Marantz SR7400 7, Onkyo 901?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Omar Torres, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Omar Torres

Omar Torres Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guys
    I been looking into upgrading from my HK 525 to one of these bad boys. I am looking at the HK DPR2005, I cannot find any info on this receiver are these Digital Path receivers any good.
    I am also looking at the Marantz SR7400 I heard it has an overheating problem does anybody know of this unit.
    I also been looking at the Onkyo TXNR901, it looks like an great receivers , but I heard a lot about Onkyo quantity.

Any info would be great

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I ordered a DPR 2005 yesterday, should be here in few days. I read some positive comments about it on AVSforum and decided to get it instead of the AVR7300. The AVR is $600 more expensive (current Onecall.com sale prices compared), the AVR runs HOT, the DPR runs cool and I'm not going be using the video switching on the recv (the AVR would be much better for this since it has DCDi). What I've read about the sound of the DPR is what sold me and I've always been pleased with my HK's I've had in the past. I should know more by Monday once I've had some time to hook it up and listen for while. I've also got the Onkyo universal changer on the way, so maybe I'll pick up an SACD or DVD-A to try out this weekend along with 2-ch music and movies. I don't have the link to the reviews I read on AVS but I imagine a search will get you to the same threads I read.

3. Omar Torres

Thanks dean
    I am thinking about ordering the same thing. Let me know how it goes on Monday Please LOl lol.

4. Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi Stunt Coordinator

The Marantz and Onkyo are very good units. I have heard of no overheating issues with it, but you might know something I don't. I would go with the Marantz just becouse of the sound unless there is a overheating problem, but to me the Marantz blows away the HK in sound.

Cheers
    Mike

5. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I think the overheating issues were with the first few units out of production on the Marantz. For pure sound quality I'd go with the Marantz, hard to beat in my opinion.

6. Omar Torres

I heard good things about the Marantz. To bad I already ordered the HK. I heard some great stuff about the digital amps and I wanted a reciver with full bass mangement for SACD. Does the Marantz have full bass mangement for SACD and DVD audio?

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

It is a digital path receiver, not digital amp. I don't think there is such a thing as digital amp. [​IMG]

8. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I don't think the marantz has low end management for SACD/DVD-A. There seem to be lots of opinions on where that should be, my opinion is a good SACD/DVD-A player should have it, like the Denon's do.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I love Marantz, but I have seen the heat problem with the 7400 first hand in the shop with the very first unit they got in, though this was quite a while ago, so the issue may have been fixed by now.

Marantz does not have digital bass management. Except for level adjustment, no processing can be applied to the m/c analog inputs.

10. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Here's my report after a few days with the DPR 2005. The associated equipment is a Onkyo DV-CP802 SACD/DVD-A changer using Coax digital, a HD10-250 HDTivo using optical, and a Kenwood DST7000 Sirius Tuner using optical. Running 4 NHT SB3's and one M6 center. My subwoofer is not setup yet and I rarely use it since I'm in an apartment right now. I am not using the video switching on the DPR so I can't comment on the quality but I might try it out in few weeks once I get another component cable.

I listened to a sampling of just about every format of music and movies I have. Audio CD, SACD and DVD-A (2-ch and multi), DVD-V (DD and DTS), OTA HD (both DD and DPLII). I'm very impressed with the sound. At first it seemed harsh but by day two the harshness was gone. There is no audible noise on this receiver and when I first tried multi channel audio on SACD and DVD-A I didn't have the DVD player setup correctly and was only getting 2-ch yet at one point the soundstage on Norah Jones was so incredible I thought for sure that the surrounds must be playing. Overall, this is an impressive receiver and I'm happy with it. I have a few minor gripes that are mostly due to the very poorly worded manual and my stubborn self for not reading the entire "novel". I have not tried any SPL over 75 yet but feel that it won't have any problem with it. I tried EZset using the mic on the remote and it did OK but I ended tweaking these settings with my SPL meter and the test tones. I do love the fact that the IR port is Xantech compatible and works great with a patch cable from the Xantech distibution block since IR emitters can be a problem with HK recvrs. I hate that it can't do OSD on Component since all my video sources are component and I had to run an S-video to the TV to setup the recv since OSD is necessary.

11. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Why with a full set of pre-outs on the 525 would you seek another receiver? Why not get a separate amp and couple it to your existing receiver?

12. Omar Torres

Hey Drew_W
    I tryed that, it did sounded great. I decied to get the all in one package a reciever. The amps were just tomuch for my apartment. What I wanted was clean sound and I found that with the DPR 2005. I am very happy with the sound, very warm and clean. I also love the look of the new Harman Kardons. Passed the WAF with flying colors. I also pick up the new HK DVD22 great Dvd player. [​IMG]