What's new

HK DPR 2005 - Need Advice (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_P

Auditioning
Howdy,

I am in need of some Home Theatre NINJA's.

I recently purchased my first home theatre. I picked up the Polk Audio RM6900 ($500 CDN) and the HK DPR 2005 ($850 CDN). From what I can tell this amp is way too much for these speakers. But, I plan to upgrade to better speakers when I have the room for it.

Here in lies the problem. When I have that new theatre room (1 year) and upgrade my speakers am I going to want a different amp?

I have heard rumors that the new AVR 640 is going to be unbeilievable. For a couple of hundred more is it the better choice?

I have a Sony Grand Wega 42" R-Proj LCD. I plan to upgrade to either a 62" Toshiba DLP or the new 60" Sony XRD.

I have high Def satelite right now and watch mainly movies. Which amp do you brilliant people think is a better fit in the long run?

Thanks !

Michael

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Michael, you're new. But this should have been posted in Receivers/Amps, not Software/Film and Documentary. That area is for talking about DVDs and LDs (or even VHS).

MikeNg

Second Unit
I've had the DPR and it is a completely different animal from the 'analog' receivers. I got rid of it. Just didn't sound good to me. The center channel amp failed on me too.

I would go with the 640. The Denon 2807 is supposed to be a killer AVR also.

Mike

Andy_A

Second Unit
I think it would depend on the speakers you are using. If you have some fairly efficient speakers, the 2005 should have no problem driving them. Even with not so efficient speakers, it should do fine. I use an HK DPR for the preamp section because they make such great preamps. I would probably use the 2005 as a preamp and pick up some decent amps somewhere cheap. Good amps are extremely inexpensive, especially on the used market. For example, I have an HK AVR-80 receiver with main amp inputs (bypasses everything to use it as a power amp) and THX cert. that runs 85 X 3 and 60 X 2 to the rears. I picked it up for only 175 shipped on ebay. As a five channel amp, it works wonderfully, I'm sure as well as the newer HKs. You could pick up something like that and fix any amp problem and also have separate components. You also wouldn't have to worry about selling the 2005 and picking up something else..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.