What's new

Hk Dpr 1001 (1 Viewer)

dosei

Auditioning
I'm considering this digital receiver from HK. I'd like to hear people's opinion on this - ie. enough power, distortion level, HT capabilities, etc. I'm building a new HT system, and thought this was a good price right now. Thanks.

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have any personal experience, but several people have been disappointed with the sound coming from these "new" digital recievers. This was HK's first try at a completely digital reciever, and several people (at least over at AVS) didn't think it had the Harman Kardon sound characteristic of their recievers. Many say the problems have been corrected in the _005 digital recievers from HK and these units sound much better.

FWIW, I just bought the HK 430 from www.6ave.com for 550. They are authorized HK dealers too, so it comes with the full manufactuers warranty.

Good luck.

dosei

Auditioning
Thanks, what you said is very helpful. I'm considering the 430 as well, but there seems to be better deals for the DPR 1001.

GregBe

Second Unit
I have never owned H/K before, so I am not sure how the 1001 compares to other H/K's. I did upgrade from an Onkyo 600 though, and saw big improvements. I noticed things sounded more full in the midrange, I also noticed that the I started to hear distortion much quicker with my Onkyo even though the Onkyo is rated at 80 watts vs 50 for the DPR-1001. I did talk to a H/K rep and he said one of the problems with the DPR-1001 was that it had difficulty with "speakers with complex crossovers, but it worked beautifully with simple two way speakers". Since I have two way speakers and love the sound, I am very pleased.

Greg

dosei

Auditioning
Thanks Greg, I really need to go into a store to test these out. What speakers are you running? I noticed you're in San Jose, do you know of any stores in the Bay Area that you recommend for quality AV gear? I'm in San Mateo myself. My decision is basically down to dpr 1001 v avr 430, unless a kick ass deal for a denon comes along. If anyone has any recommedations for a better receiver in this price range, please let me know. Thanks alot.

GregBe

Second Unit
I know the Circuit City and Fry's carry H/K receiver, but they are both terrible places to demo. I bought mine from Fry's, because they were closing them out at $270. I am not sure of a good place to demo H/K. I am running Cambridge Soundworks speakers. With their tradeup policy, I have owned everyone of their satellite and bookshelf models. Currently I have their largest satellites, the MC300's with a MC400 Center. I have their P1000 sub and currently the Surround 5.1 for my rears. I will be upgrading the rears to the S300's. For the money, I can't recommend CSW highly enough.
As far as other stores, I am more familiar with the South Bay. I really like Bay Area Audio in San Jose, and Century Stereo in Campbell. If you are just starting out, Magnolia HiFi in Palo Alto is a great place to shop (I think there is one in Colma as well). They have a large variety of midfi to hifi. If you are interested, there is a Cambridge Soundworks in Palo Alto, but obviously they only carry their own speakers.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks