HK, Denon, Rotel and NAD help me narrow it down more?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JamieS, May 20, 2003.

1. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Back again looking for more advice. Thanks for input on the value of buying locally, I think I have just about decided that the extra couple hundred dollars will be worth it in the long run because if I ever need to upgrade and I buy online my local guys are not gonna want to help me out the same way.

On to the question:

I am going to get a new TV either a Toshiba 42 or 46 inch. If I get the 42 inch I will have about $1800 MAX for a receiver budget. If I get the 46 inch my budget would be more like $1200 MAX (CANADIAN).

Here are the choices in order of how they SOUNDED to me in each price bracket:

$1200 under
    NAD T752 great sound, good remote, only 5 channel but expandable. Main concern is quality issues that seem to be a big concern with NAD.
    Denon 2803 – Least expensive alternative, I should be able to get a good trade in on my existing Denon receiver, reliable, good feature set. Crap remote, no real jump in power or sound quality (especially for music).

Over 1200
    Rotel RSX 1055: My dream receiver, fantastic sound, quality, upgradeable and a good step towards separates. Price is at or above budget limit, only 5 channels.
    HK 525: Very good sound, tons of features, 7 channels of power. Some reliability issues and didn’t really sound any better than the NAD.
    Denon 3803: Solid power to 7 channels, most features, might be slightly cheaper than others in this price range because of trade ins. Denon’s do not sound as good to me for music as the other brands and is it really worth the extra $ over the 2803.

I know what I like the sound of is the most important but I’d like to get as much opinion as I can to help me decide. Especially since I will have to make some decisions between TV size and receiver price.

My room is 15 X 17 8foot ceiling; speakers are Paradigm Monitor 7, Mini Monitor, CC 370 and PW 2200 sub. I use it for DVD, Xbox, music listening (both CD and digital cable music) and of course TV.

Any experience with these receivers good or bad is appreciated.Please note all prices are CANADIAN

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I have quite a bit of experience with the h/k 525 and it's a terrific receiver. However, I wouldn't pay $1200 for it. If you can find it discounted--and you ought to be able to--I'd grab it. I think it stacks up favorably against the Rotel and Denon pieces.

3. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I just edited my post to make it clearer. I am in canada so over $1200 is 1200 CANADIAN.

I appreciate your comment about the 525. I seems like a very good AVR but it is (at the best price I could find locally I have decided not to order internet from US for warranty reasons) only $200 less than a Rotel. I do appreciate the advice though. If I decide to go 6.1 rather than 5.1 then Rotel falls out of the loop because I would need an external amp busting my budget.

Keep the opinions coming.

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

The newer 752s seem to have quashed all the bugs, my 762 has been bulletproof so far. I would highly recommend either (assuming you get a recent production 752).

5. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Any of those receivers will do a good job IMO. Do you have a preference for looks (For me it is the NAD)? Also, will the remotes make a difference (NAD once again wins here IMO, though I haven't seen the 3803's remote.)

If you are going to go with external amplification at some stage (Say for the mains) then I'd be tempted to go the T752 route and get a good 2 channel power amp for the fronts either straight away or at a later date. This way you get 7.1 with good amplification up the front (Reroute the rear surrounds through the NAD's front main-ins).

Yes, both the T752 and T762 have had some issues, but all of them that I know of have been sorted out with the chip upgrades that are now available. These upgrades are free under warranty to anyone with problems. NAD has certainly come up with the great service on this - they are receptive to hearing of bugs/problems with units, and are also receptive to hearing user suggestions. (And many of these suggestions will likely be dropped in to either new software or new hardware such as the T772 when it is released).

As I said at the beginning, any of these receivers will do a good job - get the one that you prefer (Whether for sound reasons, or useability/looks, whatever).

6. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Jamie:

You have very nice speakers that have a somewhat reserved sound. They are also highly accurate. All are nice receivers, but based upon your speaker choices, I would highly recommend either the NAD or the Rotel. I have had all of the receiver choices you listed in for home auditions, and I have specifically heard the NAD with Paradigm Monitor 7s at my local dealer. It is a great combination, sound-wise. I wouldn't worry about the reliability isssues, either, as it does appear that these have been sorted out.

I have las directly compared the Rotel to the Denons, and there is no real comparison--the Rotel is much cleaner and more detailed. Again, the sound is cleaner and would be a noticable improvement over the Denons with your speakers.

I personally think the Denons or the h/k would not be the best choice for your speakers (If you had something like Klipsches or JM labs, which have a brighter sound, I would recommend the h/k or the Denon 3803, instead). The warmer, but less detailed sound of the h/k and Denons work much better with brighter sounding speakers,

If you can, take home both a NAD 752 and a Denon 2803 and compared them with good source material on your speakers (banana plugs really facilitate this type of comparison), and I think you will see what I mean. Good luck!

7. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I think the decision is made. It is going to be the NAD T752. My reciever budget was somewhat dicatated by my TV budget. Now that I have settled on a 46 inch Toshiba the NDA is by far the best choice to fill the rest of the budget. Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I probably never would have thought of going NAD withpout the advice of those on the forum.