What's new

HK Clarification on DD-EX (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I see the AVR 520 lists the various sound options I want, except for DD-EX. Can anyone speak to this?

I would like to upgrade to an HK with that option, but prefer not to go all the way up to the 8000, due to cost. Thx

Leo_P

Second Unit
I have the h/k AVR520 and can tell you it does NOT support Dolby Digital EX. This doesn't bother me 'cause I don't have a "6.1" set-up, but if you have to have EX, look elsewhere.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of receivers do not do not have EX as a result of the delay in releasing Dolby EX 5.1 Surround as a format.

The 'old' Denon 1602+/Marantz 4200+ family etc. have their own 6.1 format and not the new EX.

I'm pretty sure that the Outlaw 950 was first with the official Dolby EX 5.1 Surround.

T.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Thanks, guys. I am particuarly interested in the DD-EX because of the release of Lord of the Rings. It is the most compelling movie score I have ever heard and want this one in all its glory!

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Rumour is the next replacement for the H/K 520 will support -EX.

I've heard anywhere from September (not likely) to November (makes more sense).

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
That would be good! There is a 7000 model, in Canada at least, but it is not shown on HK's website; I understand that it does not have EX either.

The pricing for Outlaw, with the 950 and 770 would still be close to 4K CAD, so that's out of my range as well.

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, no HK's support DD EX, only DTS-ES starting at the 320 and upwards. I could be wrong though.

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
hi peter,

you might want to reconsider not to go all the way to the top(avr8000), i can't strongly enough recommend that. you can trust me on one thing: if you get the avr8000 then you will NEVER EVER asking for dolby ex/dts es (doesn't matter if matrix or discrete) again, because you will have logic7 with 5.1 capability.i give you my word on this. i only use dolby ex/dts es on my lexicon mc-1 to show people how much more superior a 7.1 system is compared to those 6.1 standards. believe me, compared to 5.1 logic7 dolby ex/dts es is a joke.

regards, holger

KurtisJ

Agent
Just wait until november when the special editions of LOTR are released. They have 6.1 DTS-ES!! Of course one is down right spendy and the other just above the normal editions. ...or do as Holger says and get the AVR8000.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
IMO Dolby EX isn't a big deal being a matrix solution as it is.

The H/K AVR520 may be a smart choice given the inclusion of Logic 7 even for poweramp people.

T.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Ugh, bummer, the normal 2 disk set you get for free from Kia for test driving the Sorento (or actually any Kia I think) won't have DTS-ES. :frowning:

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Just wait until november when the special editions of LOTR are released. They have 6.1 DTS-ES!!
Doh!! I forgot about that, which would actually work out perfectly if it is true that the next generation of HK 520 does include the DD-EX feature. I was intent on buying both the Aug and Nov editions of this film anyways. Geez... I bought the National Geographic DVD of LOTR just so I could get some footage of the actual movie.:b

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
it appears that even the avr 320 has this feature, and from what i am sensing here, it is everything that dd-ex is, or at least a most adequate replacement, and at a hugely discounted price!
peter,

that is incorrect. the smaller hk models are just capable of logic7 steering with 2channel sources like pcm signals for example. this is called 2.0 logic7. only the avr8000 has enough processing power to deliver logic7 with 5.1 sources.

regards, holger

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Holger is that perhaps incorrect. The manual for the 520 says the same thing as the 8000.

Logic 7 'Enhance' can be applied to 5.1 sources.

Whether you get a 'cutprice' Lexicon is another matter.

T.

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
the manual for the 520 says the same thing as the 8000. logic7 *enhance* can applied to 5.1 sources.
tony,

i know the hk manuals doesn't clarify this aspect. but this issue was discussed here before and some avr520 owners wrote that this receiver is NOT capable of 5.1 logic7 processing.

regards, holger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks