HK AVR8000 Vs. 525 as pre/pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryJ, Feb 10, 2003.

1. GaryJ

GaryJ Stunt Coordinator

If I am not using the internal amplification and if I take Logic 7 of multichannel sources out of the equation, which would make the better Pre/pro? Or are they pretty much even?

Thanks,

GJ

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Consider another option: waiting for the 7200 in March/April. Otherwise I would have to say the 8000 still has better sound...superior componentry throughout. But at what price differential? Critical usage? Of course, you do get a quality 5 channel amp as well.

3. Djordje

Djordje Auditioning

Personally I have the 8000 paired with a Parasound 855 amp. Tried it both ways and with the amp there is a world of difference. As far as the 525 it is an inferior product not that it isn't good but for my $ I would not trade for a 8000(except maybe for a Lexicon).

4. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

If you're starting from scratch wanting to go the pre/pro route and are not going to use the internal amplification, why spend the money on either? The Outlaw 950, just as an example, is cheaper than the 8000, though a little more than you'd pay street for the 525.

5. GaryJ

GaryJ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input. Here is a little more background. I currently have an AVR8000 but it isn’t working right and I can send it back and get my money back, unfortunately they don’t have another unit to send me. I also have a brand new 525 coming to me from another situation. If I want to keep the 8000 I will have to take it in to get it serviced and that just doesn’t sit right with me for a brand new unit.

Obviously the best would be for me to plug them both into my system and see if I can live with the difference. The problem is I only have a few days left to return the 8000 and probably won’t receive the 525 in time. Eventually I would like to get a stand alone pre/pro but anything I am drawn to is quite a bit more money and not in the budget right now. If I am going to sell the 525 I would rather not open the box, returning is not an option for the 525.

I am limited to these two right now since the money has already been spent.

Thanks,

GJ

6. Jonathan_D

Okay, here's what I would do. Send the 8000 back - wouldn't settle for that in a new unit. Use the 525, including amplification, until I'm ready to go full pre/pro/amp - then I'd start with the amplification and work my way up to the pre/pro unit. YMMV.

7. GaryJ

GaryJ Stunt Coordinator

Johnathan: I already have separate amplification, Bryston 9B ST THX, that is why the amp section is not important for me in this decision. Thanks for your thoughts.

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I agree with Jonathan. Situationally, you're more committed to the 525 and the 8000 refund is nothing to sneeze at. Obviously you must be looking at something more than the 950 when it comes to preamps. IMO the 525 will be a surprisingly good fill-in.

9. Jonathan_D

Okay Gary,

You got the amplification, you got a busted AVR 8000 and you got a 525 on the way. Apparently the thought of the 525 doesn't satisfy you, so...send the 8000 back, sell the 525 in an unopened box (since you said you can't send it back - though I'm not sure you'll get much more for it unopened) and buy a Lexicon DC-2 for your pre/pro. [​IMG]

10. GaryJ

GaryJ Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan:

You are probably right, I am making too much of a deal about not breaking the seal on the 525. I think I may as well just give it a go and see how much of a step down it is. If I return the 8000 and sell the 525 I would pretty much be at the used DC2 level. I actually got the AVR8000 since it seemed a better choice than a used DC1 (about the same price)

Thanks for your input.

GJ

11. Mike P

Mike P Auditioning

I would try the 525 out and see how you like it. To me the Outlaw 950 is not an option. I had one and there were several key drawbacks for me that I won't go into here, but the biggest one was not being able to set different speaker trims for different processing modes.

The 525 really seems to have all of the processing power of most low end pre/pro's, so the real question is how does it's input stage perform. You will be in a perfect postition to tell us.

Good luck!

Mike

12. Jonathan_D

No prob, Gary! As a government employee I learned a long time ago to enjoy spending other people's money! [​IMG]

13. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

I would get rid of the 8000 if it has issues. I would never be completely satisfied with it.

Let us know how the 525 compares as a pre/pro.

14. GaryJ

GaryJ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Guys:

The 8000 is on the way back and I hope to have the 525 here next week. I think the 8000 did a nice job, not stellar but I could definitely live with it. I hope the 525 can hang in there.

I'll give you guys an update.

GJ