HK AVR8000 setup questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Sander, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

I have a new HK AVR8000 and am in the process of making the initial settings. I have a 5.1 system. I'm sure the sea of experience on this forum can help me out:

1. The manual states that if my speakers a "full range" and capable of producing sounds down to 40Hz, that I should set the setting to "Large." Well, my speaker manual says my speakers do produce down to 40Hz (they are B&W Signature 7NT in-wall speakers). But I have read many times on this forum that speakers should generally be set to "small." What should I do? I don't want to lose out on some bass that would normally be contained in the front left/right/center channels by setting those speakers to "small."

2. For those who have an HK receiver, what setting do you use to watch regular television?

Thanks.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

1. I would try it both ways, and see what's more pleasing to your ears. If you have a good subwoofer, it's generally a good idea to set the speakers to small.

2. L7 cinema.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

1. I agree, if you got a good sub, send most of the bass to it.

2. L7, but here's the trick, if you have cable run the audio from the cable box to the t.v., set the audio of the t.v. to stereo expander or wide, then from the t.v. to the vcr and out to the receiver. Everything will appear to be in 5.1, commercials, cartoons (especially) and premium movies. As long as your cable box put out stereo. Satellite, you can do the same as well.

4. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

1. Experiment, experiment, experiment
    2. Logic 7 Enhancement[​IMG]

5. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

Jerome, many cable boxes have digital audio output. Mine does (coax). The sound is a lot better via digital than analog from the box. I think all cable these boxes have pretty bad D/A converters, so it's much better running coax directly from the box to the receiver, if available. Another advantage of it is that some movies on cable are run in true DD 5.1. If you use analog you'll be downmixing to DPL.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Oh I whole heartedly agree Anton, the sound using Linear PCM gives you great sound via the digital output. Lots of bass and really pretty loud, the reason I made the analog suggestion because I wasn't sure what Marshall had. Using Logic 7C via optical is good, but I tell you, for seperation, using the analog via stereo expander is just incredible. I wish there was a stereo expander selection via the digital source unfortunately there isn't any. You have to turn up the volume a bit on the analog stage to really enjoy it.

7. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your replies.

FYI, I have a Hughes box for Direct TV. It has digital out and I run an optical wire from the satellite box to the receiver.