HK AVR8000 LFE Problem, I think mine is defective

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stegner, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Scott Stegner

Looking for additional ideas. Warning long...

OK, I receive my HK AVR8000 from OneCall on Monday, but I am away and can not set it up until Saturday. So yesterday I proceed to unpack and set it up. It is a very solid unit and looks and sounds great. I next play with the auto calibration using the built in remote microphone automatic adjustment. I now start to play a DVD and notice that my sub is not nearly outputting as much as in the past. Then I notice that I am getting some sort of noise coming out of the LFE channel to my sub amp. My sub setup is an Samsom S1000 amp and a SVS CS+ sub. In fact I find if I pause the DVD player which keeps the receiver in DD 5.1, I hear a noticeable type of white noise that builds and falls coming from my sub. It is a strong enough signal to drive the -20DB indicator on my sub amp. I then notice that I am getting this same noise from my Directv satellite box.

So my symptoms are:

-20db (when receiver at reference 0db) white type noise (not hum) being injected from the LFE channel on all sources that enable this channel.

This noise is being input to the amp with our without the sub being connected to the amps output.

Sub cannot be calibrated to full output using an SPL meter.

What I have done:

Swapped out different channel on the Samson amp and then even swapped to an old amp.

Installed a different receiver out to sub amp in cable

Tried setting up both my DVD and Sat box on different optical or coaxial inputs

Tried many various settings on the AVR setup to see if I could get it to stop. (Large front, small front, LFE etc.)

Did a Software reset on the receiver

Tried plugging the sub amp into a different electrical outlet, added a cheater plug, etc.

None of the above has fixed it.

So I called OneCall late last evening and they were very helpful. They agreed to send out another AVR8000 on Monday and I have to pay shipping on the returned unit. Anyone have any ideas on something else to try.

Thanks, Scott

2. JerryLang

JerryLang Agent

I can't offer any clues, but please let us know how the new unit works. I almost bought this receiver, but passed because others posted they were unhappy with the sound. "Thin and lacking bass".

3. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

4. Scott Stegner

Update:

I played with this problem more today. It is defiantly something to do with a low freq signal being injected when using any type of digital processing. (Logic7, DD5.1 DTS, Nero etc.). I found if I change to large speaker and select no sub, I now get this background noise coming out my main speakers. I disconnected all cables except for the DVD player and mains. Still get the noise on mains, even tried a different DVD player, same results. I guess I just have to wait for the new one to arrive. Anyone who has one of these. When watching a DD5.1 DVD and you have all channel signal lights lit on front of the AVR, hit pause. Set the AVR to 0db (ref) and see if any weird noise is coming out of either mains (no sub) or your sub depending on setup. If you stop the DVD and loose the DD input to the receiver, the front panel lights will go out and I loose the noise, but in pause, it is very easy to hear.

5. Scott Stegner

New one hooked up today. Problem fixed!

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Scott,

Excellent! Enjoy, you lucky dog.