HK AVR8000 center channel buzz/ hum!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredHa, Dec 11, 2002.

1. FredHa

FredHa Auditioning

[​IMG] Hello all. I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem on my new Harman Kardon AVR8000 for some weeks now. I'm now wondering if anyone else has seen this problem on this unit.
    There is a distinct high frequency buzz or hum, you could say, on the center channel, that is not present on any other speaker. The sound can be heard easily from about 1 foot away. It's not present on any other speaker or channel. It's not affected by the unit volume, but remains constant.
    I've tried all the normal troubleshooting stuff. Changed speakers, made sure all speaker wires are of the highest shielded quality. I'm using a reference quality Mirage shielded CC speaker, etc.
    A knowledgeable sales person at a high end audio store told me this might be a good place to start searching for answers. I called Harman Kardon, and while they were very polite, they basically said they've had no complaints on this unit of this type.
    I've owned several prior high end receivers from other manufacturers, and I've never heard this type of buzz coming from a speaker. (I know what a normal amp background noise is, and this ISN"T it.) Any ideas, anyone? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks---Fred

2. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Fred,

Try searching here and on AVS Forum. This issue came up with a number of units shipped from Onecall last time they had their $1227 sale on the AVR8000.

Aaron

3. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Try usint the center pre out to one of the other amp channels to see if it is the pre amp or the amp section.

John

4. FredHa

FredHa Auditioning

Thanks Aaron. I did do just that, and posted a similar message over at AVS. I think I found out some very useful information!
    And John--I tried your advice. The problem seems to be in the pre-amp section. Hmmmm. I'll let you guys know how I get this issue resolved.
    If anyone has gotten their unit "fixed", and there is a known service bulletin fix for this, could you please let me know. Thank you
    Fred
    [​IMG]