HK-AVR630 w/ PA4000???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TonyWright, Jul 10, 2004.

1. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I am currently running a HK-AVR630 and I was thinking about adding a PA4000 amp to it. I have Swans Diva 6.1, C3 and R3's in a 5 speaker system. My idea was to bridge the PA4000 to run my 6.1's and the center channel at 100watts each leaving one 100watt channel open on the PA4000. Then use the AVR630 to drive my R3's.

Is this a worth-while addition? Is there a way to set the AVR630 into 4ohm mode to run just my rear speakers (which a 4 ohm speakers)?

Thanks in advance for any advice here.

Tony

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Any receiver that has a switch to allow it to handle 4ohm loads is really just limiting the amount of current drawn by the amplifier. If your receiver isn't shutting down due to the 4ohm load then I wouldn't worry about it since the receiver is evidently capable of keeping up. If it's not shutting down while driving all 5 speakers then there will be even less strain just driving the R3s.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Thanks Stephen!

My receiver is not having any trouble running all of my speakers so I won't worry about running 4ohms to my R3's.

I don't think the PA4000 will do what I really want it to do anyway. I thought it would have an input for each channel but that does not seem to be the case.

I think the better choice would be the Outlaw 7100. The only trouble is that it is twice the cost considering that I found the PA4000 on oncall.com for $397. [​IMG] Can't afford to drop $900 on a power amp at this time. Well actually I could afford it, it's just that the wife won't allow it... [​IMG].

A shot in the dark, but I don't suppose anyone knows how or where I could get my hands on an Outlaw 7100 cheap?

Just thought I'd try...

4. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

By the way Stephen, I checked out your theater pics. Nice Setup. I was just wondering why you have your 4.1's bi-amped. I am still new to some of this so I am not familiar with bi-amping and/or it's benefits?

Would it be advantageous for me to bi-amp my 6.1's?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Well the 4.1s have a 6ohm nominal impedance but drop to below 4ohm fairly easily. This was causing some shutdowns on my receiver at extremely high volumes. I'm only running 5.1 and my receiver has the ability to bi-amp using the 6th and 7th channel. By bi-amping each channel sees a higher impedance and I've done away with the shutdown problems. There's no real power advantage because the receiver's power supply is still only able to deliver X amount of current at any one time. It may actually be a little more taxing on the power supply running it this way but it's neccesary for impedance matching to prevent shutdown at very high volumes. Pioneer Elite has always been known for not liking 4ohm speakers but I didn't think it would be a big deal when I purchased the 4.1s since they're 6ohm, but they do dip so I had to find a way to make it work.

Sicne your 6.1s are 8ohm and you're not having shutdown problems there would be no real reason to run them in a bi-amp configuration. I'm not even sure the HK has this feature either.

6. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right about the HK not having that option. I don't think it can bi-amp that way.

Thanks again.