HK avr630-HELP 6.1 question!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NickScott, Jan 19, 2005.

1. NickScott

NickScott Stunt Coordinator

Ok so heres the deal. I have the HK avr 630. I am setting up 6.1 (NOT 7.1) and here is my question/problem. For rear (6.1 or 7.1)speaker hookups on the 630, There is SBL, SBR. So what I want to know, for 6.1 how should I hook it up?

SBR + and SBL - ?
    one or the other ?

I emailed HK on this and the answer was "Hook up 7.1, its better".

A. I dont really have the room for 7.1
    B. I know that unless you have a perfect room, acoustically 7.1 is no good.
    C. Nothing is in 7.1

Here is quickly how my rear setup is now.

Center seating, rears are angled to the center, 1.3M speaker to center. 2.9M apart. Room width is 3.0M.
    So since the width of my speakers are 0.3M, its easy for me to place one rear center, but going 7.1, I am not going to have much/any spare room behind my seats. Plus I CANT put my rears on the sides.

So there it is, Please give my all the info you want to give me on this. Any tips, advice, anything.

Thanks alot,

Scott.

2. John S

John S Producer

It doesn't say in the manual???

If not I'd say it does not matter, just make sure in the setup the one your not using is not listed as a speaker that is connected to the system perhaps?

You can use 7.1 in a 6.1 configuration by locating the 2 rears in the same location. Right next to eahc other, or one on top the other I suppose.

3. NickScott

NickScott Stunt Coordinator

i have read the manual a few times and there is only info on 7.1. I have thought about setting 7.1 up with the two side by side, but I am not really sure what the sound will be like as well as the room.

Plus, if I hook up 7.1 like that and watch a dvd with DTS ES, what will the SB speakers be doing? which one will be the 6.1, etc... I have no idea.

Thanks.

4. John S

John S Producer

7.1 at this time, really isn't hardly any better than 6.1, the sound in the 2 back most channels is usually mono, since there really is only 5.1, 5.1 EX, 5.1 DTS Matrix, and DTS 6.1.....

If you hook two rear speakers up to a 6.1 system and place them appropriately, you really have 7.1 as far as I am concrned.

Speakers at virtually the same location tend to act as one speaker the same size as the two speakers with the same amount / type of drivers as far as how it interacts with your room accoustics goes.