HK AVR520 vs. Marantz SR6300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry.Evans, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

I'm looking at both the Marantz SR6300 ($520/online) and the Harmon Kardon AVR520 ($500/online). Which of these would be a better purchase? Concerned about DVD surround sound presentation (DTS/DD) and the hook up of Pioneers forthcoming universal player for DVD-A and some SACD use.

Recommendations?

Thanks, I don't have the ear for this stuff yet...
    -Barry

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Does the SR6300 have better bass management? Does it have audio drop-outs or cut-offs?

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Hi Chris,

The x300 series apparently has better digital source detection (to reduce or eliminate drop-outs), but only the 7300 has the variable bass crossover, with 80, 100 or 120Hz available.

Chris

4. Luke_R

Luke_R Agent

I just received my 6300 for 530 shipped, if you can wait a couple of days for me to finish some stuff with school(everybody dropping crap on us right before spring break) I'd be more than happy to post impressions for you when I get it hooked up.

5. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

Where did you get it for $530/shipped? Is it refurbed and/or under warranty?

Why did you select the 6300?

thanks -i'll await your review.
    -Barry

6. Luke_R

Luke_R Agent

I got it from acoustic sound design, off of ebay using buy it now, I think they put things on ebay to get rid of overstock possibly, My reasons for selecting the 6300 were that it has a very warm and musical sound to it,it had stadium mode, which was not a must, but very nice to have for football games[​IMG] it has a learning remote, simply put when compared to the other receivers I looked at in the $500 price range it was the best for me, others I looked at were Yamaha rx-v1200 but it wasn't very good for music, sony da2es, many have said this receiver is not really a true es receiver and that they start with the 4es, and the hk520, sound is supposedly near or on par with the marantz, power supply is more than ample, but only 5 channels of amplification as opposed to 6 for marantz, also I read quite a few complaints about quality control on some hk models especially about the 520. I'l post more when I get everything going. Gotta go back to dying I mean studying, I'll post more when everything is hooked up.

7. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

Do most echo those quality concerns about the HK avr520?

The SR6300 doesn't do component video switching? My understanding is that recievers that push out component video can handle the translation of an S-Video input feed to component video out? (with the understanding the outgoing isn't really any better than what came in)

What about Pioneer's Pioneer Elite VSXTX-41 which also sells $500/online? Would anyone recommend that at this price point?

-bp