HK AVR325 v 525, enough wpc for me??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JulioV, Mar 31, 2004.

1. JulioV

JulioV Auditioning

this is my first post ever on the forums (just found this place out 2 days ago and HAD to sign up), and I wanted to start off with a power question

I have a small living room, about 12'x13', and have just bought a Sony 50" lcd projection and was in the market for a new HT to complete the setup. I have always wanted a Harman Kardon receiver (my dad has the avr 7200 and it always made me drool) and I narrowed it down to the AVR 325 and AVR 525 for my modest living room. I just bought the AVR 325 from Circuit City for $500 (last brand new one also got $45 5 yr extended warranty) and am now wondering if I should have gotten the 525 for the extra 20 wpc. Unfortunately most of the CC's around here are out of the avr 525 (replaced with the new Avr 330's and 630's which I'm not too fond of aesthetically) which would have been only $50 more.

I've got 5 hk speakers and a sub coming from ebay for about $500 total (needed some small bookshelfs for now before I upgrade to expensive/floorstanders when I eventually get my own Home).

I guess my question is, whether the 325 will handle my living room fine or would the 525 be the better buy? also as fas as I know the hdcd and wpc is the only upgrade from the 325 to the 525, any other features/specs that would be better on the 525 over it's little brother?? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated,...you guys definitely seem to know your stuff [​IMG]

2. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Your fine,
    Ive got the 325 in a 12x18 living room and it fills my room just fine , easily as well as my previous Onkyo 85x5 receiver.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It really all depends on the speakers. But it sounds like the 325 should be more than enough.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

correction: it all depends on the speakers for a given room. Some speakers need oodles of power, others don't. The acoustics of the room definitely come into play if you talk about changing rooms.