What's new

HK AVR325 Question (1 Viewer)

Hey all, I'm kinda confused about the rear surround channels on the AVR325. I know they can be used for multizone, but is there any way I could also use them for rear surround in my home theater room? I won't be going for 7.1 right away, so it won't be an issue for a few months, but I'd love to install the rear surrounds in the future. If that's not possible with the AVR325 I'll prolly have to look for other receivers, something I really don't want to do.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
but is there any way I could also use them for rear surround in my home theater room?
The following H/K receivers allow you to use the back "2" channels for either rear surrounds or multi-zone outputs: AVR-325, AVR-525, AVR-7200. You have to configure your amp to do one or the other. The on-screen setup allows you to determine how you want to use the back two channels.

No need to go for another receiver to do 7.1 - as yours will allow you that capability as it stands right now.

Enjoy !

Ahhh, but what I'd like to do is have both hooked up, so for when I'm watching movies I could have 7.1 surround but for when I'm in another room, can listen to music. Would it just require I hook up a good a/b switch box to those ports and have the other zone speakers on a and the rear surrounds on b?

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Ahhh, but what I'd like to do is have both hooked up, so for when I'm watching movies I could have 7.1 surround but for when I'm in another room, can listen to music. Would it just require I hook up a good a/b switch box to those ports and have the other zone speakers on a and the rear surrounds on b?
You'd really be complicating things that way. I suppose you could get a A/B box for the back speaker outputs, but then you'd have to go into the on screen menu and turn off 7.1 and then go into advanced and turn on multizone plus reassign the amps to MultiRoom instead of Surround Back, plus flip the A/B switch. You'd have to do that each time you went between multizone and 7.1. It's doable but a lot of work and hassle.

I would leave my room set up as 7.1 and connect an old stereo amp/receiver to the Multizone line level outputs to power the 2nd room. That way you can run 9 speakers from the HK.

But since you don't have 7.1 right now. I'd set the unit up for 5.1 in the main room and the SB/MR speaker outputs for multizone use. Then you don't need another amp at all.

How big is your main listening room? Do you really need 7.1 in there?

My room isn't that big and I dont _need_ 7.1, but it'd be something I'd like to have someday. I could probally just use my old Proton stereo reciever for the other rooms and figure something out with that and save some hassle. Well, I've still got plenty of time to figure it out. It'll be awhile before I have a full 5.1 setup, much more for the eventual 7.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks