HK AVR320 vs. AVR520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidAM, Nov 25, 2001.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I will buying one of these recievers very soon (probably this week) and need help deciding. I think I will just get the 520 to alleviate any worries, but if anyone has HK experience and knows their recievers features well, please give me your input and let me know which you would buy. Is the 520 worth the extra $200? I know they are supposed to be very underrated and I did read a review on the 510 which stated it tested out at something like 125 or 150 watts or so (I can't remember the figure but it was at least double the rated power), but I still can't forget that the 320 is only rated at 55x5. Is there really enough power in the 320 to push a HT? Also, I'm seeing on the HK site that the 320 has HDTV component video switching, but the .pdf file for the 320 says HDTV inputs and outputs. Anyone know for sure if the 320 has component video switching or not? If I remember correctly, the 310 didn't have it, so I'm curious if it was added to the 320 or not. Other than those 2 main differences, is there anything else different between the 320 and 520 and which do you think is the best one to get?

2. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Also, anyone know of good prices on these 2 recievers? I know J&R has the 520 for $650, so I will probably go with that, but if anyone knows of a cheaper place, let me know! J&R also price matches so I could still buy from them and just get it matched if the place isn't too reputable. I don't know of all the online vendors, so if anyone has recommendations on who to check out, post them up for me! Thanks.

3. Steven_B

Steven_B Agent

Ecost.com has the 520 at 609.95 I don't know about shipping costs. I'm looking at the same receiver, but have a few questions myself. I know they have multi-room ability however I didn't see additional speaker outs for that purpose. Do you need a separate amp? Also what is the remote like? Where might I get info on it and or possibly a picture?

4. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I know to use the multiroom feature you will need another amp. I haven't looked into this feature too much because I'm not interested in using it, but I do know the HK recievers don't have powered outputs for an additional room. I don't know of any recievers that do actually....not in this price range for sure. Now, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The differences are power, backlit remote, pre-out/main-in loop. I think that's it, but I may have missed some other minor differences.

I had an AVR500 for about a year, then switched to an AVR310 (now waiting for the 320 to come in). The average volume level on the 310 is higher, but it has no trouble acheiving the output I want.

6. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Also, if I am not mistaken, the 520 has HDCD capability, whereas the 320 does not. With the higher output power comes higher current as well (45A vs. 35A). I have been lusting after the 520 myself for a while. I just have to save my pennies a little longer.

7. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Thanks for the help. I just ordered the 520 from JandR for $610 and $26 for shipping to Florida. They had the 320's for $499 ($649 was regular on the 520). Supposedly they are an authorized HK dealer which I don't believe (anyone know?). Hopefully they are so I get the full manufacturer's warranty plus the extended Amex warranty for using their card. Anyway, I'll be hooking up my reciever in a week or so! I can't wait!! [​IMG]