HK avr225 0r 230?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Larry Alan, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Larry Alan

Larry Alan Auditioning

I'm in the process of upgrading my old analog Pro Logic receiver to a 5.1 system upgrade. I have heard good reviews of the HK avr225 and have decided it fits the bill for my needs and budget. The question is whether the new avr 230 is a better choice(price is similar). I don't really like it's new look, but I can get over that, if it's better. Has anyone compared these 2 receivers? would you explain the differences?

Thanks,

Larry

2. Christian B

Christian B Agent

One of the main differences is the 230 has 7.1 preamp outputs on the back of it. That's the reason I'm buying it so it can act as a pre/pro for me to run to my Marantz MM9000 when I get it. It has newer DACs as well (digital to analog converters) which are manufactured from Cirrus Logic which are supposed to be a little bit better. I also think the new 230 has 5 watts more per channel. Hope this helps!

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Actually 5 watts less per channel but still it is a 6.1 reciever instead of 5.1, newer DAC's as well as it offers DTS:Neo6, although not a big deal seeing that Logic7 is offered and I believe it is much better than PLII or Neo6 IMHO. My vote goes to the 230.

4. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

FYI. You can get a new AVR230 from JandR for $379.88 That includes free shipping

Rick

5. Howard_You

Howard_You Stunt Coordinator

I'd definately go for the AVR230. Besides the 6.1 features, it has pre-amp outputs missing on the AVR225 as well as the triple-crossover bass management (adjustable sub crossover frequency for front/centre/rear channels). One limitation of the AVR225 is the crossover is fixed at 100Hz.

6. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Also doesn't the 230 have video switching? I think I remember seeing that on the HK website when I was checking the new stuff out.

7. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

I use to like Logic 7 better,but lately I like DPL II much better on my HK's. It sounds smoother too me.