HK AVR125 or AVR225

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rob E, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Rob E

Rob E Extra

After reading alot of posts I have decided to go with HK as my first reciever. I didn't really notice a difference between these two models other than the 10watt increase. Will I hear a distinction between the two models with just 10 watts? Or are there other features that I am missing?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

No you won't hear a big difference at all, nothing noticeable anyways.

The big difference I think between the two is the OSD (On Screen Display)... one reason I chose mine over the 125.

Other than that the difference is really nothing big.

3. Rob E

Rob E Extra

What do you mean OSD(on screen display) I am a little confused, can you elaborate? Thanks

4. ChrisLazarko

On screen display is basically a way of setting up the recievers settings with it displaying it on your TV. It makes it easier for the user... instead of looking at the recievers trying to figure out what commands to put it, it simplifies it a little.

The AVR-225 does have a couple extra little tid-bits but it's nothing big at all.

5. Rob E

Rob E Extra

Gotcha, Thanks

6. Shaun Graham

Shaun Graham Agent

The "EZ-Set" feature on the 225 is handy too if you don't have an SPL meter like myself...but I agree with Chris; save the (insignificant) 10 watts per channel and the OSD they're the same. Check out SoundCity for cheap 125 refurbs, they're an authorized dealer, too.

7. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The 225 has the ezset feature that lets you set the speaker sound levels, doing away with the Radioshack sound level meter.
    I have the avr125 and once I set it up I don't find myself changing the settings. I might toggle between Logic 7 and Pro-Logic II but that's about it.
    I find the avr125 easy to set up without the onscreen display.

8. ChrisLazarko

I didn't even like the SPL on the HK, it isn't really all that accurate I didn't think..... When it automatically adjusted everything it sounded awful so...

9. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

10. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Another difference is an extra A/V input. That was a deal maker for me. The OSD is a nice little extra, but I hardly use it. I have my DVD and HD STB going directly to my TV, so my Satellite STB, PS2 and VCR are the only inputs I can use with it.

11. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit