1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

HK AVR 7300 Performance #'s WOW!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by terence, Oct 22, 2004.

1. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Sound & Vision just tested this beast here are the #'s

Remeber this puppy is rated 110 X 7

Dolby Digital Performance:

Output @ clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 ch driven.....202/343W (23.1/25.3 dBW)
    5 ch driven(8 ohms).....145 W (21.6 dBW)
    7 ch driven(8 ohms).....139 W (21.4 dBW)

Distortion @ 1 watt (THD+N, 1kHz)
    8/4 ohms......................0.003/0.04%

Noise Level (A-wtd)...........-75.0 db

Excess noise (with sine tone)
    16-bit (EN16)..................+1.4 db

Frequency responce
    20 Hz to 20 kHz +0, -0.3 db

"The AVR7300 performed exceptionally well in the lab. Power output was unusally strong, especially with 5 & 7 ch driven."

-Daniel Klumin

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Not to mention "the Harman Kardon AVR 7300 is one helluva digital surround receiver"

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I thought the power output numbers were very similar with the older AVR-7200 also. It's good to see that H/K is keeping up their reputation when it comes to power output.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I wonder what the distortion figures are right before clipping occurs?

And I really wish they would use the 20Hz-20kHz testing figure. Mostly because this 1kHz thing seems to artificially inflate the wattage numbers. Anyone know why so many testers/manufacturers started using it?

I wonder what my "little" Pioneer SX-6 from 1983--manufacturer rated at 45 watts per channel into 8 ohms with .01%THD from 20Hz-20kHz--would be rated at now?

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Doing some recent reading I learned that Yamaha seems to use both methods. The 1 khz rating for the HTR stuff they sell at places like Best Buy and 20-20 for the RXV line. But they do also give the 20-20 ratings for the HTR stuff online.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Couple those numbers with Faroudja, you got one helluva receiver.

7. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

Does this model suffer from the digital pickup delay as other HK models?

-Vic

8. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

It would be great if they test them at say 20, 1000, 10,000, 20,000 hz. To test for the full 20 to 20,000 hz may be too much work for little gain, considering the fact that receivers such as HKAVRs have FR within less than +- 0.5dB, 20 hz to 20,000 hz, so their outputs should not vary much with frequencies within this range.

9. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

What exactly is Digital Pickup Delay? Ive been trying to read up on people experances with HK AVR's and how they stand up to other brands. My cousin was asking me about HK and to be honest, I dont know much about them cause I love Denon. He asked me if they were good, because where he works, he can get an incredible discount on them, and is contemplating on eventually getting one. So I guess I'm asking is Digital Pickup Delay really bad? Are all HK's plagued by this flaw? What do people think of HK's all together, are they worth retail price? or is it worth his discounted price which I think is a little under 50%

BTW Jerome, your link in your signature is a dead link.

10. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

When the source material starts (movie etc.), there is a .5 to 1 second silence when the digital processor is figuring out which mode to go with. That is all. Slightly annoying, but usually happens before even the movie studio name is put on screen.

By the way, I love my HK AVR 630. Great power, and great sound.

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

For 2 channel output, as was done in the good old days, companies I believe are still required to specify the X wpc, both channels driven, @ 20-20, @ whatever the rated THD is. This is according to an FTC statute so there's no wiggle room. It might be helpful to look at then and now.

This is an abreviated procedure for determining the wpc according to the FTC. It was last updated sometime in the 70's. 1970's that is [​IMG]

1) All channels are first run at 1/3 power for 1 hour.
    2) Use an 8 ohm resistor as a dummy speaker load and...
    3) Determine the power @ 1 kHz, all channels driven for 5 minutes at the rated THD.
    4) As in 3) except into 20 Hz.
    5) As in 3) except into 20 kHz.
    6) Determine the maximum power in situations 3-5.
    7) Take the lowest power and that becomes the rated power.

Now in 2002, a new standard was introduced by the EIA called 490A for the purposes of providing a uniform method of specifying power in multi-channel receivers and amps. While we still use an 8 ohm resistor as the dummy speaker load, there are differences.

1) All channels expect one are driven at 1/8 the rated power @ 1 kHz.
    2) Drive the single channel to the maximum power @ 1 kHz and 1% THD.
    3) use the single channel power as the power for the amp or receiver.

You'll get somewhat inflated numbers.

FWIW, there were a variety of companies on the IEC committee like Sony, Panasonic, Bose and others so I imagine they had a vested interest in this. Its certainly cheaper to design features and modes which can be implemented easily with a few chips than it is to give you soup to nuts power. I'm thinking that maybe all these 'digital' amps that are out there have something to do with it.