HK AVR 7200: New Owner Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Schrall_Danny, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Schrall_Danny

Gentlemen, this is my first quality receiver. My 7200 was barely delivered yesterday. I am still a bit overwhelmed by the size and depth of the AVR 7200. It absolutely dwarfs my previous Sony entry level unit and can easily bully my buddies 43-tx.

Anyway, this receiver is sitting at the base of my entertainment center with approximately 8 inches of overhead clearence to spare. Housed above the receiver is my polk cs400i so as a result the doors of my entertainment center have to remain open during operation. That said, I have no reason to belive that an insuffiency of air space is available to facilitate cooling of this unit. HOwever, is it normal for this sucker to HEAT UP as much as it does?

It's not to the point where I could fry an egg on it, nor is it uncomfortable to touch, but I had it going last night for the better part of an hour and a half playing in stereo and that sucker GOT HOT as hell, relatively speaking! Also it emitted that "new electronic" smell only it was "hot new electronic smell".

Can this sucker be a fire hazzard? If it got hot on stereo material what's it going to feel like during a 4 hour lord of the rings marathon? I am driving relativly high efficiency 8 ohm POLK RTI model speakers /w Monster Z1 wire

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well make sure you have a decent amount of space above the reciever and in the back of it and you should be alright.

Just make sure there is some way to vent out the air and you'll be alright... if it is an enclosed area I would try and open it up a little bit.

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

The new electronic smell will last for a couple of weeks and then go away. As far as the heat, you can always get a cheap cooling fan for the unit. Many people have posted about adding a fan to blow on top of the receiver.