HK AVR-7000 still a good choice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Shankman, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Lee Shankman

Lee Shankman Extra

Hello,

I am in the market for a decent receiver, and I don't want to pay top dollar. I've been offered a Harmon-Kardon AVR-7000 for about $500, which I think is a good price, but I'm concerned about buying this unit, as it's somewhat of an older unit.

Does anyone know if this receiver is still considered a good model? My needs are basic for this installation -- but I want something that will last me several years and not have any serious shortcomings.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee

2. Lee Shankman

Lee Shankman Extra

What I meant by older unit, is that the model is an older model. The box I'm considering buying is a new one. Sorry for the confusion!

3. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

I've been looking at this model since they came out and I believe if you are NOT in the market for 6.1 or 7.1 surround, you CANNOT beat this Receiver for the PRICE of $500.00. Id say go for it!

4. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

The amp section alone is "damn near" worth $500. a REAL 100W x 5 @ 8 ohms (75 amps)

The Pre/pro section is icing on the cake. VMAX, Logic 7(5), DTS and Dolby Digital.

"Don't bother me...I'm LISTENING!" (only those who have Carl's Jrs Hamburger joints will understand the preceding obscurity)

John Casler

5. Danie_P

Danie_P Extra

Well in MHO ... stay as far away from HK as ya can!!!

Have had 4 replaced AVR 7000 in 2 months and finaly changed to a AVR 5500 and same "poffing" in the speakers then it lets go of the signal all of the digital or the pcm signals.

The warmer the amp got the worse the popping became.

So out with that crap and in with a new Onkyo 898 and couldnt be happier!!.. ( well except the dropout problem with some DVDs)

Like the Onkyo a lot ... nice to be able enjoy all the audio formats.

Cheers..

6. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

No personal experience, but I seem to remember a whole host of posts about 10-14 months ago about problems with the HK-7000. Actual smoke, loud popping when engaging digital sources, and other problems seemed to abound this model.

Take it all with a grain of salt, though. People are much more likely to post about serious problems than they are their pleasant experiences.

I think HK got rid of all the gremlins in their more recent offerings. Still, you're buying a unit that I think is out of production, and did have some issues. Is the great price worth it? That's your call.

Good luck.

7. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

See this link. Look at the power ratings and comments.
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?43.
    Then Look and the Onkyo Integra 9.1 pay close attention to the THD ratio on both and you will see a huge differnce between claimed power THD ratio and actual.
    Also under a typical 8 ohm load which one has the lowest THD and more POWER
    Thats all I have to say

8. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

mind posting your username and password. [​IMG]

9. Mark Markosky

Mark Markosky Auditioning

I'm on my 4th 7000. the first three smoked. HK keeps sending me replacements. there's a problem with the design no matter what HK says.

COZ

10. flenn

flenn Agent

My 2, if you have any interest in watching 2 channel sources in DPL, go with a newer receiver. DPL2, and DTS:Neo decoding are worth the extra $$$, IMO. I upgraded from an HK AVR65 to the new Sony DA5ES and the difference in our everyday primetime network TV programming sound is amazing. It sounds like I actually have "surround sound". Previously, the HK could only give me that sensation when viewing DD or DTS encoded material. I know most people may not be too concerned with non DD or DTS sound, but watching Survivor last Thursday was a rush, compared to the old HK.

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Flen,

The AVR-7000 has Logic 7 which blows DPL2 out of the water -on both music and movies. Granted, it's only a 5.1 version of Logic 7 but it's still a much better format.

Lee,

I own a a 7000. It's the only one I've ever had..though I did go through two defective AVR-65's before getting a perfect 7000.

Prior to their current models HK did have some QC issues -that cannot be denied. Some of the early 7000s suffered as well but for the most part I think the run of the 7000 was much better than the AVR-65.

It's a great receiver and sounds very nice. Logic 7 is awesome and the amps are adequate for almost any speakers you throw at them.

12. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I just sold our floor model 7000 a couple of days ago. It ran in the store 8 hours a day, 6 days a week for about 2 years, powering an Atlantic Technology System 270THX. Never had a single problem with it.

13. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Also, Ubid is selling the 7000's from H/K service. Does anyone really think that H/K is just dumping bad receivers on the market but still providing them with a 2 year standard warranty? If so, I've got some great land in Florida you can build on. Really, I swear.