What's new

Hk Avr 630 (1 Viewer)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Get a pre/pro and amp. I have an old Nikko Alpha 220 and Beta 50 for 2 ch. sounds great, just need some new speakers, i have a set of audiosphere research with a 15" driver. there are lots of pre/pro's and amps for less than the price of the H/K 630.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I started offering reburbished H/Ks about a year ago. It's tough going though because I've had to wait weeks sometimes for a model to become available.

My experience with selling H/K simply does not mirror yours.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Johnny,

Thanks for your response. I think it only appears that H/K has lots of refurbished receivers on the market. I also believe it's because H/K handles refurbs like a company should. My suspicions are that other companies do either one of three things:

1) Repair and repackage the item and place it out in the distribution channel as if it were a new product.

2) Repair, package and sell the item as "B" stock or as a refurbished product.

3) Repair, package and "dump" the product on the grey market. Then, put up a notice on their Web site indicating that they'll only accept items for repair that were purchased from authorized channels. In this scenario, Denon comes to mind. I'm not implying that they do as much dumping, but clearly, lots of their gear is out there in the grey market.

Finally, companies like Denon have companies like DakMart sell their refurbed and "B" stock units. Going back up to item #2 above, you'll see that this appears to be a method that Denon uses. How else would DakMart get so many "B" stock units from Denon?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Wendy,

If you are going to purchase a 2-channel receiver with the intention of running 4 speakers off it, just be sure that the receiver can handle it. Usually, a receiver manufacturer puts A/B switches on a receiver because they do it for the purpose that a client might have 2 pair of speakers -- that they run at different times. I believe hooking up 4 speakers at once will put quite a heavy load on a receiver.

Personally, if I were in the market for a stereo receiver, I'd hit Ebay. Look for some of the old "classic" receivers from Marantz and Sansui. Both of those receivers will do justice to stereo listening. :)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
yes wayne....I have a marantz 2240...that thing flat out rocks!...I love it! it's so musical. everything comes alive in the music.

As for the H/K, im going by what I witness. and there are more than a few people on this site stating the same things happend to their H/K units that I state...a big pop sizzle and some smoke....as far as im concerned...the H/K receivers are shoddy products priced way to high.

Pesiba

Grip

Priced way too high? Yep, especially here in Canada. Shoddy work? That's one for debate. A lot of people own H/K and love it. I have one and haven't had problems.

I'll encourage anyone interested in H/K product to go ahead. Get extra warratny if necessary.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This may seem like a trivial point on the surface to bring up but concerning Harmon/Kardon volume control systems:

1) The knob itself on the x30 series feels incredibly cheap. It's like it is mounted on a rubber stalk. Also, IMO the knob's detents are too indistinct and contribute to the knob's loose feel. Best Buy sells a big THX Kenwood and its knob has a very heavy, solid and silky feel to it as it was turned. Sony's ES series & Pioneer's Elites have similar slick systems. And even Sherwood's little hundred dollar stereo model feels better to me.

2) On a couple of x30 models I've turned the knob and the numbers on the display couldn't keep up & displayed random #'s until the knob stopped turning. I had to sloooowly turn the knob so the receiver could keep up. :frowning: I think this is inexcusable behavior on any modern receiver.

My point is: if something as simple as the volume control system is badly designed (in my opinion), what else in these very complicated receivers also might not be well designed?

Maybe H/K should trade some features for more quality--this is not meant to be a smart-ass remark but a legitimate piece of advice.

LJ

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
Since we are talking about knobs......LOL
I didn't like the knob on the X25 series. Cheap flimsy plastic.........and not very thick (deep?) My knobs have always been metal.
I think the one on the X30's are cool.....blue glowing ring. I never use the knob anyways.
The knob is the least of my concerns.

The only other receiver I'm interested in giving a whirl is the Yamaha 2400 (or maybe 1400). Everything I've read seems to imply a mismatch between Yamaha and Athena speakers which I have and aren't prepared to change. The only thing is....none of the dealers offer such a liberal return policy as where I purchased the HK. I would be stuck with the Yamaha.....or a store credit if I decided the Yamaha wasn't to my liking.
Well.......I have about a week left before my 30 days runs out.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
yep, I agree, H/K needs a serious kick in the ass when it comes to build quality. the x30 is built just like the rest....maybe a feature or two...other than that, it's all cosmetic. and that stupid volume knob...what the hell? The volume knob on my realistic receiver that I had when I was 10 was better than that....it actually felt solid. H/K is the equivialant of buying a hyundai xg300. nice looking on the outside with lots of features, but, it's still a hyundai!

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Wendy,

Why don't you take the receiver back to where you bought it and have them test/check/compare it for you?

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
Because it's Future Shop and most people who work there don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. ;)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Agreed...Future shop is not a good place to deal with. Looks like you got double whammy'ed wendy...purchased H/K from FS. Where are you living in this great country of ours?

I can recommend a place here in Newfoundland that has great deals. and the NAD sounds AWSOME that they sell....they had it on special for 500.00....I think it was a 752 or 756 something like that!

They will ship too!....very good to deal with...talk to seymour there!

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
steve I second your recomendation for pre/pro/power amps
I started with a Nikko alpha II/beta II combo and now thats driving just 2 large 10"s for my sub. I purchased a used b&k 5 channel through audiogon and I couldnt be happier.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
My alpha 220 has BALLS! that's the best way to describe it. I used it for driving my midrange and hi end while playing music at dances. we had a peavy 500 w for the bass bin's....powered through that no problem. it do have some battle scars but runs like a top!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Call me atypical (I sure hope I'm not though), but the feel of the volume knob on my A/V receiver has got to be the least of my concerns! First of all, I never touch the thing. Second, I want the quality to be on the INSIDE of the unit. If it sounds great and works great, the front panel can be made of cardboard for all I care.

Shiu

Second Unit
Wendy, if you like loud quality music, return the 630 and get a 7200 from the U.S. Chances are you don't need warranty because the 7200 has been around long enough. If it did break you could send it back to the U.S. to get service. You will end up paying less for a much better machine because our Canadian distributor are charging us more than twice as much as their U.S. counterpart.

The X30 series looks nice but put you hand on top of the box and push down gently, then do the same to a Sony ES or Denon you will see that the X30 uses flimsy material. The 630 may have some huge power supply transformers but I don't think their amplifiers are all that strong. For two channel music you will most likely get "louder" quality sound from something like the Yamaha 2400 or the Denon 3805.

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
My two cents...I've have an AVR 85 and an 8000 and have never had any problems, the 85 is still going strong. I hesitated about the 8000 due to all the comments about "build quality" but it has been great. Yeah the plastic volume seems cheap compared to a "metal" knob, but does it affect the sound? E-Cost has all sorts of Onkyo and Denon refurbished units. The 630 is a good unit (I personally like the black look better, oh well). HK gives you a good two year warrenty besides.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

Going back to what I said before, I have an AVR8000 and I can crank it to extremes and it still doesn't necessarily sound loud. That's because loud isn't really fatiguing. But distortion sure is.

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
Well I was listening to a few different things last night at 0dB.
Pink Floyd The Wall CD
Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD
It didn't seem loud but 0dB was the limit on my volume for some reason this time. I know I've went into the +dB range before. I've been doing alot of playing around so I guess I changed something along the way.
Anyways......maybe you're right John. Even though it didn't seem loud, I found a bit of ceiling tile debris on my furniture, tables etc today. LOLOLOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks