What's new

Hk Avr 630 (2 Viewers)

Vince. V

Agent
Just wanted to mention, i setup my athenas last night, to my hk 230.

2-ASF2's
2-ASB2's
1-ASC1
and a AS-P400

Played the Phantom Menace... -30db was very loud!
and Music is really loud by CD, I think DVD's sound lvl has to be higher because of recording lvls, due to dynamic range..? anyways, wanted to pass that along.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
If you're really unhappy with the H/K's power output, there are other options, ESPECIALLY at the hugely inflated price they sell for here in Canada.

I had more or less the same experience with a H/K 525 when auditioning my Athenas. The FS had the 525 and a Yamaha 5640 that you could switch between. The Yamaha ran them louder, but the sound wasn't nearly as good as the H/K. It was *wierd*. I couldn't put my finger on why I could get the Yamaha louder.

In the end, I went with a Pioneer Elite 53TX, which runs about $1600 Canadian (before negotiation :)). Hell, if music is such a huge priority, why not get a less expensive receiver with preouts and add a 2channel power amp (for stereo listening). You can get a new Rotel RB-1070 for $1000CND (again, before negotiation). That will drive those Athenas to ear blistering volume. And I'm tempted to say it'll sound better than the H/K in stereo mode. And it probably will. YMMV.

(P.S. Nothing against H/K, I'm an H/K owner myself, just at the price of the 630, there are other options.)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Find the internal test tones on your receiver and it will tell you what your volume for each speaker is set for.

NickScott

Stunt Coordinator
I compared the EZ set stats with my spl meter and they were way off. You could actually hear were the EZset didnt figure it out right?
But anyways, with my 630, it turns on at -45 I usually listen to TV around -45 - -37, DVD's -32 - -20, and music to not louder than -15 and thats cranking it!!
I have Paradigm 9se Mk2, wharfedale modus center, wharfedale diamond 8.1 rears.
I cant complain and neither can my buddys.
But I did find once I got my 630 that it took a week or 2 to tweak the system right to my likings.
good luck,

Scott.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
WendyS, welcome to the world of clean undistorted power!

If you want proof that the volume is really wayyyy louder than you think it sounds, measure the sound pressure level.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
WendyS said:

"I brought this receiver home Friday ..."

"Since I haven't broken in my new Athena's..."

"I came home with the Athena AS C1 today because it was on sale..."

"What if I were to replace these with another pair of ASF2's? They are a decent price right now but I'm sure my husband would freek!!"

Wait a second... a woman who is into music and home theater, and wants to spend money to upgrade it? He should worship the ground you walk upon! :D

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator

Ok... Mr. WendyS, I hereby swear that you should worship the ground upon which your wife walks. A woman who is into home theater and music is a rare catch indeed, and should be treasured.

How was that? :D

Btw how did you make out with your 630?

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
;)
I'm still working on the receiver.
Been busy with unexpected, unannounced company (ie the outlaws) so didn't get to do my planned tweaking this weekend.....too busy cooking. :thumbsdown:

Where can I find a SPL? I looked on the Radio Shack website but nothing came up. Could someone recommend a brand name please and where to buy?.......keep it cheap!!

Thanks

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Go into your local Radio Shack. Get the analog one, not the digital one. It's cheaper and more reliable. Should be around $30; I picked mine up in the States when I was there last summer.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Wendy,

I doubt that an SPL is going to make any difference. It sounds as if one of 3 things is true:

First) You are not getting a full audio signal. Something is not connected correctly. Are you having the same problem with the volume of your tuner as you are with your DVD player? Is it the same for your VCR? Do you have a CD player connected, and is it also giving you low volume output? If all these answers are yes, then check the speaker cables and make sure they are hooked up properly (not likely to be a problem if the volume is low in all channels). If all this is done correctly and the volume is still low, the most likely problem is #3.

Second) You have the channel adjustments turned down, as JohnSmith suggested. This isn't the cross-over settings. There is a separate setting for channel volume adjustment. You'll find the directions for this in the manual on pages 27 and 28. Try this.

Third) There is something wrong with your receiver.
No way that a 630 does not have enough power for your room and speakers if it is working properly. I don't know what model Pioneer receiver you had, but HK amps are some of the most hardy in the industry. While other receivers are rated at more power, they seldom meet their rated specs when all channels are driven. HK always exceeds their specs. Besides that, they deliver high current which is even more important than wattage ratings. If your 630 isn't doing the job, there is some kind of a problem. It has more than enough power.

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tips.
The only thing hooked up to the receiver is a DVD player via optical cable. All speaker wire has been replace with monster cable, connections checked and double checked.
Something is seriously screwy. My surround back speakers are 10 or 12 feet behind the HT area. You cannot hear them until you are within a foot away......this is when I turn down all others and turn them up to +10dB.
If I can reset the receiver to factory original settings and go at it systematically, I think I'll do that. Follow the manual......great idea!! Up until now I've just been playing around......getting used to the remote and other functions. I know my settings are way out of whack.
Will get down to business when these people get out of my house!!!
;)
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions coming my way.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Wendy, here are the part numbers that I got off of radio shacks web site for the spl meters:

Analog:33-4050
Digital:33-2055

The analog is listed as out of stock for online ordering but you can put your zip code in and see if your local store has any in stock. Or you can get the digital one online.

I think that if you still do not like your 630 it is possible there is something wrong with it, as I have the last model (the 525) and I love it. Your Athena's are more efficient then my Jbl studio's, and your reciever has 5 more watts per channel then mine. Is it possible to exchange it and try another one?

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
I have 30 days from date of purchase to decide.
If I think there is a problem with the receiver I can exchange or return it during this time......no problem.

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised to see those item numbers work on the Canadian website. Thanks.
But........ughhhhhhhhh 69.99 and 89.99.....so 80 or 100 bucks with tax. :thumbsdown:
Oh well.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Which is why I bought mine in the States. For under 50 bucks after conversion I think. So that leaves you with a few options. eBay, picking one up when you do go to the States, or negotiating a deal whereby someone buys you one and ships it to you. Not as great a deal, but you should be able to find one used and they (for some reason completely unknown to me) pop up from time to time in the Hardware for Sale forum. Keep your eyes peeled, it's worth every dollar.

Kris_Smith

Agent
Well it even states in the manual that the surround speakers will not have much sound comming out of them anyway....Unless it it specified to go there....

Another thing is the source.....Some sources may be louder than others.....Like some TV shows are louder than others....Some stations also have a high amount of static which makes the speakers sound "hissy"....

When I use 5 channel for music I have to turn the volume up higher, but when using DPLII out of the fronts, the music is loud at -40.....

I was watching a show last night in Dolby Digital and it sounded really low as if something was wrong, but I turned the channel to another dolby digital source and it sounded fine.....

I was testing channels and 1 channel appearded to only have sound comming from the front left main speaker, but when I change to another show the system was working fine...Just that TV channel.....

I'm not sure if it is the receiver or the source in which there is a problem.....

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
I have only been fooling around with CD's..........no TV, or DVD's.
If I have it set at either 3,5, or 7 channel stereo shouldn't all speakers be getting equal power?
I should not hear any volume change when I switch between these modes........should I?
The surround back speakers used to be hooked up to the B channel on my crappy Pioneer. I could switch from A to B to AB and never notice a decrease in volume per se......just a change in the fullness and/or location of the sound.

Getting more confused by the minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks