What's new

Hk Avr 5550 (1 Viewer)

kanian

Auditioning
Hi everybody,
I'm thinking about a purchase of HK AVR 5550 (European version for HK AVR 525) but I've heard some complaints about its fan being noisy. How much true and annoying is it? I am going to connect it with my B&W 603 speakers at front and 601 at rear. In the past I had Sony receiver STRD 435 and the system wasn't really playing well. Do you think that Harman will well tune with B&W speakers? Thanks for any info.
Adam

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I just purchased the H/K 5550 (Australian version) replacing my old Yamaha 3090. I cannot be happier, it is totally fantastic. I use it for movie and music and they both sounds good. I LOVE IT, the sound was not too bright, you can sit there and listen to it for a whole day and dont get tired, unlike my yamaha. I did not notice any fan noise or problems, but it does get quite warm (which is not a bad thing, since it means it has high power output). I switch it on and let it run for nearly a whole day just listening to music at a high volume (-15 to -20 dB) and I still cannot hear the fan going on. Dont let the 70Watts power fool you, it can get very loud without distortion.

Anyway, let me tell you why I bought this receiver. It was all because of the B&W speakers. I auditioned the HK 5550 in the shop with the same setup as you. using a whole set of the 600 series 3 B&W speakers and it sounded great. In the same shop I also listened to the Yamaha 2300 and the NAD T762, both were meant to be in the class of the HK 5550. But I think the HK was much better, with a much clean and crisp sound, the bass was more accurate and precise. The NAD seems really dull and lifeless with the B&W speaker, and the Yamaha seems too boomy and bright. So I ended up buying the HK receiver, despite it is made in China, and costing much more than what people are paying in America (lucky people).

I hope that you find this helpful.

kanian

Auditioning
Thanks for your valuable comments. I've already ordered my HK 5550 and now waiting for delivery. When I finally have it I'll share with you my impressions about it and my B&W speakers as well. Again many thanks. Adam

kanian

Auditioning
I haven't paid yet but what was agreed is ca. 1400 US bucks for HK AVR 5550 and DVD HK 30. I can let you know when I pay. But there are huge differences between US, Europe and Austarlia (customs, currency exchange rates etc.). regards, Adam :)

Nick.H

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased mine for $2000.00 in perth, I love the AVR5550, it is very quite cannot here it is on, so I don't know about this fan noisy thing.

GO FOR IT!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks