HK-AVR-520 Shut down during DVD play

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Goff, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

I have a HK 520 and it freezes sometimes when playing a dvd. It never does this when playing CD's, the regular tv stations or VHS tapes. It is on a rack with shelves and no sides, there is only a bit more than 1" to the next shelf above. Will taking the shelf above and giving it more ventilation fix this glitch? The movie was the Bourne Identity, not a very demanding special effects movie or exceptional bass passages. Also was playing only about -25 db.

Does HK have any fixes for this. Is it more than heat causing this problem. The disk was pretty new only came out last week.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

What do you mean when you say it 'freezes'? Does it shut down spontaneously during playback or does the picture (and audio) freeze on the screen? Does it freeze at the same point during the movie or does the location change. Have you tried other more demanding discs (like LOTR)to see if you can replicate this problem? Heating issues usually cause a receiver to shutdown completely. So if its not that it could be something else.

Best of luck.

3. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

The picture freezes on the screen in one spot and the sound stops. I haven't ran the movie back and see if it stops in the same spot. After I stopped it and skipped forward back to approximately the same spot it played to the end of the movie without incident. It did a similar thing with Star Wars attack of the clones, it "skipped" several frames, a jerky pause, forward, pause for a few seconds of the movie and it resumed normal play. One of my co-workers said that can happen with rentals if they have scratches on them. I accepted his explaination and did not research it any further. The Bourne Identity disk was only played twice. I will examine it for scratches when I get home tonight.

4. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

layer changes will cause a pause.

5. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

What is a layer change? This froze and wouldn't move forward.

6. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Are you running the video through your AVR?

If not, the problem is with the DVD or player. If so, there might be a problem with the AVR, but I think a disc or player problem is FAR more likely.

See if you can replicate the problem with your AVR shut off. I'm willing to bet that the problem is not with your receiver. The hint, IMO, is the simultaneous breakdown of sound and video.

Layer change: on double-layer DVDs, the optical head reads in both directions: radially in and radially out. The two layers of information are at different depths, IIRC, and changing the layer will make many players pause for a brief second.

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I'm confused. The HK 520 is a receiver, right? Is the DVD player causing the problem or are you sure it's the receiver? When you get home- wipe the disk from its center out with a disk wipe or a soft cotton material and try it again. I'm not convinced it's the receiver with the problem.

8. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

I am running the DVD into the hk-520 with an optical digital cable for video and composite cables for audio. Before having HT the DVD never skipped a beat, but you may be right. I will try cleaning the disk.

9. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

It is your DVD player, not the receiver.

John

10. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

11. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

12. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"I am running the DVD into the hk-520 with an optical digital cable for video and composite cables for audio."

Are you sure you dont have that the wrong way around?