What's new

HK AVR-520 on sale at Frys (1 Viewer)

Shrikanth

Auditioning
For those of you in the Bay Area, the HK AVR-520 is on sale at Frys for $399. Check out the San Jose Murky News for more details. :)

Sonnyc

Grip
I saw this in the ad too. What a great price, brand new, 30-day return policy.
I just threw out the box for my 320, otherwise I may tempt to upgrade. :)

Michael Webb

Stunt Coordinator
That might be all well and good, but I've tried NUMEROUS freaking times to talk to someone over their telesales number in Sunnyvale, hoping they might possibly have the discounted 320's and 520's, but I either get, "can I have your name and number and someone will call you back," or, "let me put you on old till the next century." I live in KS, and would be interested in purchasing from them, but I'm sorry, either their personnel, their customer service, or both, SSUUUUCCCKKKK.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
To think I paid $350ish for my 225. This is a great deal! It's -$100 than JandR.com which has them for $499 now- and I thought that was a great deal.

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator
Without Dolby EX (which more and more DVDs now have) ... anyone purchasing the AVR-520 ... is going to regret it.

Dolby EX does indeed make a difference ... try Monster INC opening THX sequence with the cow mooing ... you will also hear the sound coming only from the back surround channel ... very distinctly. And on Chicken Run ... it makes a world of difference on certain panic sequences.

My 2 cents.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Are you serious! $399? I just bought my AVR-320 the day after Thanksgiving for $299 at Fry's. I gladly would have paid the extra $100 for the 520. Guess my 30 day exchange is up. Oh well.

I'm very happy with my 320, so I shouldn't complain.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
To think I paid $350ish for my 225. This is a great deal! It's -$100 than JandR.com which has them for $499 now- and I thought that was a great deal.
Actually J&R has it for $349. You have to click on the "e-mail me a better price" button to get the real price.

Hal_J

Agent
ok, i feel dumb...i cant find the email me a better price link. can you help me out?

edited to add...

ok i found it, but not for the 520. i found it for the 525, which is 999. (i havent checked my email yet for the better price on that, but i doubt it's that exciting.)

so perhaps they took down the emailed better price link? maybe i'll call them up and bluff about getting the mail. is there a secret code or anything? you know, a tracking number with the mail or some sort of verification thing?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
At Harmon's website they have the 500 (old style but DTS and DD 5.1) refurb for 299, not everybody cares for more than 5.1. I dont, for one thing my room is small and 5.1 is more than adequate for me. If I had a larger room I might reconsider but it starts getting expensive, more speakers=more money. . .

Steve_Han

Grip
if you have only 5.1 speakers, will you hear any difference between receiver with DD and one with DD EX? Or is DD EX downmixed to 5.1 the same as DD?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Both DTS and DD newer formats are backwards compatable to DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1 so if you dont have the 4 rear channels it will be played on the 2 rear channels. I have listened intently to both and maybe its just me but I can hear very little if any real difference when at my listening position, of course if I go and stand by each speaker I hear it but when seated and all calibrated correctly I cannot tell the difference. Again a larger room may make all the difference in the world.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
David Lorenzo - Can you give me the info or forward me the email on how to get the AVR 520 for this price. They don't have that option on the website any more, and this is the receiver I am really looking to get. Getting it for this price would let me put the extra $$$ towards an SVS sub which I wasn't going to be able to afford.

Thanks Scott

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
For those who still want to get the avr520 in so cal, the fountain valley fry's is out, but the anaheim fry's got about 10 of them left. Picked one up yesterday, can't wait to try it out after work today :)

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
David , Thank you for the heads up on the JandR price on the HK225. I bought mine for $419.00 At Circuit City and since I was still under the 30 day price match policy, the manager agreed to match the $350.00 plus %10.00 of the difference. :) I was happy at the original price. I'm ecstatic at the price I now received:D
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks