HK AVR 520 - Faint/Slight buzz from center channel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SamN, Sep 13, 2002.

1. SamN

SamN Agent

I just received a 520 that I ordered from onecall. When in surround modes on any source, there is a faint buzz that comes from the center speaker. It goes away when switched to stereo mode. I can only hear this when I am right next to the speaker, and it does not increase as the volume on the unit increases. I also demoed a 320 a while back and it did the same thing. Am I just being picky, or is this a problem? The happens on any speaker connected to the center channel. I have tried unplugging everything from the unit and tried plugging it in, in different rooms. Any help would be great.

2. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Sounds like some kind of problem with your center channel speaker. I would suggest checking the cables going in and out, tightening them, changing them, etc. If that doesn't solve it, try a different center channel. It might be something as simple as not having a shielded center speaker and being too close to the T.V. or a certain light fixture. If you never noticed before you changed receivers, that might have been due to not having a receiver sensitive enough to pick it up or with another problem that would cover the buzzing noise.

I just suspect the center channel speaker/connections since it did with more than one receiver (and in the same way).

3. SamN

SamN Agent

I have tried this in another room in the house (with no TV) and with 2 different speakers. Also the 320 I had did the same exact thing. Its very slight and friends tell me I am nitpicking, but I wanted some opinions from others who have this unit.

EDIT - The center channel is a JBL S-Center II, and I have tried different cables.

4. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

With nothing but the speakers connected to the 520, is the buzz still there? When swithced to a digital input? To an analog input?

Btw, is there a light dimmer in your place?

5. SamN

SamN Agent

Yes the buzz is still there, on any input with nothing connected. There is a dimmer in the living room (where the equipment is) but not in the kitchen where I tried it alternetly.

6. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Sam, I think that you may have gotten a lemon. Try contacting onecall and tell them everything that you have tried to try to get rid of the buzz. They should be sympathetic to your efforts and send you a new unit in exchange for your defective one. I have found that good etailers, like 6ave, onecall and JandR, are very good with regards to exchanges, as they would rather keep your future business then skimp on a defective item under full manufaturer's warranty.

7. SamN

SamN Agent

The only thing that concerns me with doing this is that the 320 I had did the exact same thing, and I had a different center channel at the time. I will try taking it to someone elses house and trying it. That should aleviate a power/interferance issue.

8. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

If the buzz was present on two different systems, I'd say there is some electrical problem in your house. Light dimmers are famous for introducing buzz if they are on the same power line with the receiver. It does not matter if it in a different room, it still can be on the same line. You can check it but turning off circuit breakers at the main electrical panel one by one and watching which outlets go off. Taking the unit to someone else's house is a good idea too.

9. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

SamN

I agree that's it's probably something in the house. I also think it's a good idea to try it at someone else's house if you want to completely eliminate your house as the source of the problem. If just may be that the HK processor is able to pick up a radio signal from something in your house and that other receivers don't. It doesn't have to necessarily be something wrong with either your house or the receiver. It may just be a matter of compatibility with something in your house. That would be a real shame because those of us who own the 520 love it, but it just might not work out for you.

In the meantime, it sounds as if you are trying to work it out and have gone through all the most logical steps.