What's new

HK AVR 435 vs. AVR 240 (1 Viewer)

kpn

Auditioning
Real Name
nagesh
Hello,

I am a newbie to the world of home theater systems, looking to buy a receiver under $500 and have the following questions:

1. I read good reviews for HK AVR 435 and AVR 240. How do the two compare? Other than the power rating, is there any difference in terms of how they sound or in the features?

2. How does the Onkyo TX SR701 compare with the above HK receivers?

3. I am also looking for under $1000 speaker system. Do the Mission M-Cube speakers work well with the above receivers? Assuming that the speakers would be the M-Cube, which receiver is a better fit?

I greatly appreciate your advice/suggestions.

Nagesh

kpn

Auditioning
Real Name
nagesh
Ok. I finally ordered the HK AVR240. It was not based on any great research. Most reviews seemed positive. Hope I will like it!

Planning to buy either the Polk 6800 or the Mission M-cube speakers. Any suggestions regarding buying one over the other would help? I am open for any other brand/model too in the $500 to $800 price range. Since I don't have much space, I prefer smaller sized speakers.

Nagesh

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
Nagesh-

Have you tried looking into Athena speakers? The "Athena Point 5 MKII Speaker System" should fit nicely into your budget.

I run Athena F2.2's off my HK AVR235 and I could not be happier with the clairity and soundstage they provided. A buddy of mine has the S.5's running off his onkyo receiver and they sounded golden when paired with subwoofer. One thing I noticed is that the Point 5's and my F2.2's sounded remarkably similar (a good thing). This is partly because Athena keeps the same tweeter in most of its speakers to make for easy match ups. Anyways, this speaker system comes with a little Athena sub which is a bit on the small side- which may be what you want for your set up. Another option is to just get the speakers and to look into another company for the sub- but that may be a bit too pricey.

Hope you get a chance to demo and like- Athena so far tends to be a huge bang-for-your-buck company.

-AL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks