HK AVR 430 problem.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Norris, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Just got around to unpacking and setting up this receiver last night. I was watching a DVD and it only played for no more than 10 minutes, then "Poof", the 430 turned itself off after making that sound. I turned it on again, this time it lasted maybe 10 seconds, then "Poof", and it turned off. The light around the standby button is still lit amber like it's supposed to. It seems like some sort of protection measure being activated, do you guys agree? Any ideas are appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Check and make sure your exposed speaker wires are not touching in the back (could cause a short). Potentially if you're running 4 ohm speakers could be an issue, but I would think the HK should be able to handle the power.

3. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

I think that's the problem. I'm at work right now and plan to redo the speaker wires later. I have a hard time threading the speaker wire into the binding posts. I have monster cable and all those copper fibers add up to a huge bundle. I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. Is this how it's done? I unscrew the knob all the way out, and force the exposed copper bundle in, but it doesn't go all the way in because it's too thick, so a section of that is still exposed. Seems like there should be a better way.

Thanks!

4. Robert Hoffman

I think other people can answer this better than me, but I imagine you could use banana plugs to help solve the problem of loose wires. I don't know cause I don't use them, but I've seen people recommend plugs from partsexpress.com that are pretty cheap. In an ideal situation bare wire is the way to go, but especially if you have thick 12 gage wire (I don't), I could see it being tough to get it to stick through the hole in the binding post on the back of the receiver. Good luck,

Rob

5. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

try the speaker wire thing, but it sounds like you have been bit by the H/k self destruct mechanisim....good luck with it....

6. Robert Hoffman

Norris, not to scare you off.....Steve is known for bashing HK for whatever reason.

7. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I just went out and bought some banana plugs, we'll see.

Thanks Robert!