hk avr 230?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KyleCT, Jan 4, 2004.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

i think i have made up my mind. i found the avr230 for 400 (originally 500) at onecall. i haven't seen to much about this on this forum. how do you think this compares to other recievers in the same price range? i was lookin at the avr225 for a while but i decided to splurge a little. to my understanding, the 230 is just the newer version and has 6.1. Is the jump from 225 to 230 worth it? thanks

2. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

How about the AVR 325? It has 50 WPC and 7.1 surround channels.

3. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

Get the 325 for $440. I just posted a comparison a few days ago.

ww.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176064

4. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

just found: 325z for 371 at ecost. Is ecost an authorized dealer? would you recomend buying refurb from them?

5. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

Here is a list of authorized online dealers.
    ww.harmankardon.com/online_retailers.asp

I wonder if the H/K ebay store is an authorized dealer. It should be right? Even though it's not on the list you are buying from H/K.

6. JasenJ

JasenJ Agent

I picked up an AVR230 at CC last week and have been auditioning it pretty heavily the past week. I currently only have front speakers (Paradigm 5se Mark IIs) so I can't comment on the full range of features, but I can comment on a few things.

1. It is a reasonably competent unit. There may be better units out there but there are certainly many worse. The amp section is clean and powerful. The manual is clearly written and explains all the features well. There are a number of "little detail" features that are nice - sleep timer, default power-on volume level, front display dimmer, On Screen Display options.

2. The remote has lots of little buttons on it. If you plan to use the supplied remote to control all your components be prepared to spend some time configuring and programming everything the way you want. The manual explains this process clearly. The buttons are small and may be hard to read and/or press. It is NOT a learning remote.

3. You can independently assign the digital inputs, and assign the same input to multiple sources. For example, I use my DVD player both for DVD and CD playback. One of the digital inputs is assigned to both the DVD and CD sources; each source has different DSP settings (DVD has virtual surround on, CD has surround off).

4. All your surround, speaker level, subwoofer crossover, etc. settings can be set independently for each source - or done globally, your choice.

5. Triple cross-over. You can set the sub crossover separately for front, center, and surround channels.

6. If the center and surround channels are set to "large" speakers the bass info will NOT get routed to the sub. (I don't know if this is standard practice or not.)

- Jasen.

7. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Are you able to set the subwoofer output level on the 230?

8. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yes. With all the speakers you can raise or lower there volume individually. This apply's for all HK recievers as well.

9. Schnitz

Schnitz Auditioning

Ecost has a refurbished 'by Harman Kardon' AVR-325 for much less than new. Does anyone recommend purchasing a refurbished unit or has had any experiences concerning this?

10. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

Not a receiver but I bought a refurbished Sony cordless phone from a flea market and it crapped out in less than a week and since then, I avoid refurbished goods like the plague.

11. John S

John S Producer

I have great luck with refurbished units.

I woudl not hesitate to buy one.

But there is some grey area on if H/K will honor warranties on refurbished units sold by Ecost.

I called Onkyo, and they indeed said they would warranty any refurb bought at ecost.

That is a great deal on the H/K for sure.