HK AVR 230--what cable should I use??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Scott Racer, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Scott Racer

Scott Racer Auditioning

Jan 19, 2005
    I'm easily confused by the simplest things so I need some help here. I have an AVR 230 that I use on a 5.1 setup with Ascend speakers, using mostly cable box and DVD. I can use either standard RCA, coaxial or optical cable. Can some easily explain the differences and benefits of each? Right now I'm just using RCA type cables--will there be a noticeable upgrade changing to the other type of cables.

Few other questions also:

1) For cable box what is best selection for cables--I have HD and Digital channels.
    2)For DVD what is best choice for cable?
    3)I was leaning toward the optical cable and Acoustic Research sells them fairly inexpensive--are they cool to use?
    4)I've been using the DVD as a CD player also--will I benefit in sound quality going with a dedicated CD player?

2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    The two RCA plugs are analog stereo 2 channel, surround sound is limited to what amounts to ProLogic as far as surround sound.

The other two you mention are digital and capable of Dolby Digital and DTS full descreet mutilchannel surround for formats.

PS: I like optical because I like the little red light comming out of the cable. [​IMG]
  3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    See above. Using either is OK, but you are able to use a standard 75 Ohm video cable for coax (i,e, the "yellow" cable in typical 3 cable A/V sets). Do not spend a fortune on "Digital Coaxial" cables, they are just a fancy name (and price) for a composite video cable.
  4. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Jul 26, 2004
    "I like optical because I like the little red light comming out of the cable"

And I thought I was the only one that found that light cool.[​IMG]
    It kinda reminds me of my laser sights.