What's new

HK AVR-225 just blew up, where to return it? (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
From how I see it guys, any unit can be sent out with a defect whether it is worth $100 or $10,000. In any case, I will try for the new HK AVR-230, if not then I guess I will just get a HK AVR-225. In any case, it makes no difference to me, I understand products have problems, and I was just unlucky.

I also thought there was a problem because Logic7 and DPLII would "hick-up" at times and wouldn't work correctly. In any case i'm just going to return it.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If the unit is only 4 months old, isn't it still under the manufacturer's warranty. If so, I would try to get it repaired/replaced before purchsing a new receiver. I would expect any receiver, no matter the price point, to last mored than 4 months.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"Problems can develop with any brand being H/K, SONY, Pioneer, Denon etc. So just take my postings above with a pitch of salt."

Amen! I've had a 520 go bad, took it back to Costco and now own a 525. I have read about similar problems with all the other brands...Of course Sony isn't worth owning when it's working perfectly. ;)
And, please take that with a grain of salt. I know many contented Sony owners, and many of them are not even institutionalized. :D

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I went to Circuit City and picked up an AVR-230 for the meantime. I guess i'll return it when I get my old unit back.

Good enough for me!

David G Greene

Stunt Coordinator
How is the 230????

I had a problem with my AVR 110. HK sent me a AVR 120 to replace it.

I will never buy another brand,but HK.

It just sounds better. ;)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have to say I'm pretty proud to be a small part of this forum. When I first read Chris's post my first thought was how everyone was going to torcher this poor guy considering his high praise for H/K in the past. Except for a few humorous jabs, everyone has been nothing but helpfull towards him. This tells me this forum isn't full of children, but some pretty decent folks. As for Chris himself, think of the guts it took to be honest with us about what happenned. I not sure I would have said a thing if I were in his shoe's. By the way, I have an H/K 520, an Onkyo HT-500 (from the HTS-500 htib), an Aiwa DV-75 and a Fisher RS 245 ( purchased in 1982 when Macy's was awarded the "Electronics Retailer Of The Year"! Man have we come a long way!). Anyway, so far I haven't had any trouble with any of it, knock on wood. Gene

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Gene that is what these forums are all about. We all here have this "mania" with HT and it is natural to praise your own equipment. There is a Greek say that goes something like this " Whoever doesn't praise his own house, it falls on him". You always learn something here even if the guy who posts it hasn't got the same equipment as you have.

Stelios

P.S. Chris didn't praise enough his own HK lol...

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Rogo thanks for the info. I think one of Epicurus best is the following:

"If a skeptic claims that nothing can be known, then one should ask whether he knows that nothing can be known. If he says 'yes,' then he is contradicting himself. If he doesn't say yes, then he isn't making a claim, and we don't need to listen to him."

Stelios

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I love the AVR-230. I found it to have a little less power than the AVR-225, it's 50W per channel instead of 55W but it sounds a tad bit better I thought. Not by much but it was a little warmer, perhaps the different DSP is better.

As for the me praising HK. I try to say what I know and have experienced from other units and such (even though I am only 16 1/2). I've had several units in the past that my father has bought or that I have bought and the only one I have been fully pleased with is the HK. Not to mention when someone comes into the house they see this thing with all the lights and they are pretty amazed by it.

I guess I didn't give my HK enough praise, it got lonely and broke.

And for a side not, the 230 seems to run a little cooler, not to mention the component video is kinda cool... i'll never use it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks