What's new

HK AVR-225 just blew up, where to return it? (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Could someone please give me an e-mail address or a telephone number on where to return my reciever? I was just watching Band Of Brothers and it basically stopped working. I heard a POP and the display went out, following the reciever shutting itself down.

Oh well, time for a new one. Anyone know if I can get a deal on the AVR-230, my unit is about 4 months old...

Thanks for any help... I guess i'm about to find out how good HK support it first hand.

cabreau

Second Unit
I'll sell you my brand-new AVR-330 for $599. Comes with a 4-year warranty. Let me know.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Umm i'll trade you... about the best I can do. No money after holidays... i'm broke.

Do you know an e-mail address so I can get in touch with HK?

Also, why would you wanna sell you 330?

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Chris, your HK has a 2 year warranty so you can get it fixed for free. Call 516-255-HKHK for customer support.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
...Or H/K might upgrade you...Find out what they'll do.

If you aren't happy with the deal, keep trying to get them to take care of you, then try buying from costco. If you buy H/K from them it is basically a "Lifetime Warranty". Policy is if you're ever dissatisfied with it for any reason, all your money will be refunded. Their prices are good, but not necessarily best...But, you can't beat their return policy. They have the 325 for $450 right now.

I see they've also added Onkyo. Hope this means they are going to expand this level of audio/video receiver. They are the only unauthorized dealer I'd ever buy from.

By the way, I am biased toward both H/K and Costco so take it with "a grain of salt".

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well i'm not going to spend money on another reciever. I just purchased the HK AVR-225 about 4 months ago and have no reason to get a more powerful reciever or anything. Not to mention I wouldn't have enough space on my shelf as I am cutting it at the moment.

I'm curious if anyone has bought a previous reciever like the AVR-220 and they upgraded it for the 225 when that came out? Any insight or any specific person I can talk to...

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Oh well, time for a new one. Anyone know if I can get a deal on the AVR-230, my unit is about 4 months old...
You see Chris you should have got a SONY! More reliable than the HK that blows up after only 4 months lol...

Stelios

cabreau

Second Unit
I upgraded my AVR-225 to the AVR-330. I wanted 7.1. The 7.1 is amazing. I want to sell the AVR-330 because I moved into a very large room and I think I need more power.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear your HK got messed up. Especially at this time of the year. It is a little ironic though that your new HK took a dump on you with all the praise you give the company. I do hope HK can fix the unit for you in a timely manner. That deal on the 325 at costco does not seem bad at all, especially with the return policy. Also Cabreau offering the 330 with the 4 year warrenty is not to bad either.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
This would almost be the equivalent to Phil I on the speaker board having his JBL's go out on him!

Seriously Chris, it is under warranty, so you should be ok. HK does seem to have more reliability issues than most though. Probably because they are made in china. Then again, Rotel is made in China and they don't seem to have the problems HK does.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
"Ironic though that your new H/K took a dump on you with all the praise you give the company."

.....Interesting how these things happen;)

On a serious note, It does stink that it happened but I do beleive it has the 2 year on it so it won't be a problem. However you do mention that you were cutting it pretty close space wise for the receiver. This is a big no no. Especially with H/K which runs quite hot. If this is the fault for the problem than that is user neglect which is not covered under waranty. Good luck

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well they don't have to know the space, but the reciever ran luke warm at best I thought. I think I will add a fan when I get a new one. I praise the company because I believe in them, and even if I have to be without a reciever for a week then oh well... It's a quality product, and who knows... maybe I can get there newer model. :D

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
damn man a sony reciever would have been the "hottness".

I think i'll go out and buy one of there cheapo models that have really weak amps and the screws aren't in properly. Sounds like fun!

cabreau

Second Unit
I've owned two H/K's and they've been great. One acted weird for about an hour until I reset everything and double-checked my wires. Otherwise, they've been absolutely terrific.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Chris,

I had a HK 320 that I got for $299 from Fry's after Thanksgiving 2002. Had it until August when I read about a defect with Logic 7 and 7 speakers. Otherwise the unit performed great. Called HK about the defect and they offered to send me a brand new 325 for free. I just had to box up the old unit with all the packaging and send it to HK in Phoenix. Cost me $23 shipping.

So for $299 I got use of the 320 for 10 months and then upgraded to a 325 for $23. I think that's a great deal. The 325 is awesome!

I just called the HK number I posted previously. Good luck.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Yes ofcourse the HK may last a bit longer than 4 months...
and also look here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...threadid=173902

I would be very carefull buying a HK again.

Stelios
Stelios, If you read the *full* thread at the link you posted, you would see that the issue isn't necessarily the H/K receiver. The receiver was checked out - and proven by H/K to not be an issue. Let's not jump to conclusions about the quality of H/K receivers. There's no essential proof that the quality of H/K is any less than that of any other manufacturer.

Just because there are 2 or 3 posts on the Internet regarding an issue with a certain product, it does not mean the product is defective in any way. With many of the products I own (not all audio products eiter), I'm sure I could dig up all kinds of dirt on the products. However, with most of the products, I'm fairly happy.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Stelios obviously reading comprehension fails you. I think
you should read this specific part:

Min. Impedance: front: 3.6 ohm
centre: 3.1 ohm
rear: 3 ohm

I have news for you, the Sony you so praise wouldn't drive
a 3.6 Ohm load very well, if at all.

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, guys I was just teasing Chris as he is often puts down the SONY products in these forums.HK products are well known for their quality. Problems can develop with any brand being HK, SONY, Pioneer, Denon etc. So just take my postings above with a pitch of salt.

Stelios

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks