What's new

HK AVR 220-Z - 45 watts x 5 - enough power? (1 Viewer)

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Im planning on upgrading my receiver in the near future, i currently have a Kenwood VR305 which ive had for about 5 years. Its rated at 80wpc, however im sure you will all tell me id be dreaming if i beleived it was actually capable of putting out that much continuous power into 5 channels. Its driving a pair of Fluance sv10's, a fluance center and a pair bose 141's for surrounds (say what you want, they are not as bad as you all want us to beleive, i got the pair for under $45 new), and a dayton 10" from parts express is on its way as we speak. Anyways, ive been very interested in buying a referbished HK receiver direct from there website. However, unless i want a stereo receiver (i dont) or want to spend over $1,000 (again, i dont) im left with receivers that are only rated 45wpc or less into 5 channels. this is probably a very obvious answer, but i want to be sure, none of these receivers in my price range (under $300) would provide sufficant power for my sv10's which are rated for 50-200watts each, or would they? With my current receiver my speakers do not get that loud, and when i crank it up about 80% the receiver turns off. (im assuming this is a safty feature to prevent clipping). If these HK's are too weak, can anyone recomend something that we be more suitied for driving my sv10's?

Regards, Jim

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
From my point of view my HK puts out plenty of power @ 75 watts per channel. I say this because HK is known for putting out true power in the range of their power rating. Depending on the size of the room, 45 watts per channel in is ample power and would work fine for at least the Bose surrounds. Now Fluance I'm not familiar with but if rated at 50 watts to 200 may be an issue just looking at the numbers. You don't want to get a receiver where the maximum power handling is the minimum power requirement for the speakers. You may want to upgrade to a refurb receiver at the a power range of 65 to 70 watts per channel. Please note that some speakers don't sound as good until you start really driving them.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
My buddy just got the SV-10's with ctr and surrounds, and an HK 125z. After one week of running it he's happy as a clam. I went over to calibrate it for him and we watched the Ice Age opener at -12db - Sounded pretty good to me, and the HK was probably running at it's limit during some peaks, but it wasn't an issue, really, since nobody in their right mind would listen to a 90 minute flick that loud. Recommended.

I did think the SV-10's either needed more time to break in, or they are very bright.

And that was with the mains = large, no sub yet. It will only get better.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Yea, when i first got my sv10's they were very bright as well, just give them some more time to break in. And thx for the info, any recomendations for a receiver in the $300 range?

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Look at some of these deals. Just a little over your $300 range. Not sure if your price is a hard ceiling or not.

Onkyo TX-SR 601

Other people like the Pioneer VSX 912 for $299.

I own a HK 325 myself and enjoy it immensely. You can find factory refurb 325 for about $367 with full warranty. It has 7.1 processing and pre outs for all channels.

I would also choose the AVR 225 over the 220 just for the On Screen Menus and its a year newer. It's only $298 at the HK site.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yep - Harmanaudio.com or Harman on Ebay. I picked one up for a friend, on Ebay (125z, this one running JBL NSP's and a Rava - he's happy as hell, too). The Ebay unit broke down after 3 days, 4 days later the repairs were done and it's been running fine now, 3 month's later. 2 year warranty, no questions asked, mint condition.

$202 shipped.

Denon's 1604 or 884, too, check ecost.com.

Thanks for the info on the SV-10's...

Good Luck!

Kris_Smith

Agent
If your speakers need minimum of 50w I would say any HK that produces that would work very well....

With HK it's hard to say.......45 w may actually be 50 - 60 quality watts....Where as your Kenwood may only push 30 - 40....

However you don't want to waste your time so I would buy as many HK watts as I could afford/willing to pay for....

I recently put the HK 230 in the ring with the NAD T763.....Needless to say the NAD went back to the dealer on a stretcher.....

HK holds its own!

I'm a believer....

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Would the Kenwood vr6070 be worth looking at? its thx certified and rated at 100x5. its also only $199 from ecost. Would i notice any difference in sound or would it be similar sounding to my old vr305?

Kris_Smith

Agent
500w at $199???

Is it used and missing buttons?

You may be able to turn it a tad bit higher before the amp clips.....

You are just not reading the replies....You are asking us if it is alright to replace your Kenwood with virtually the same Kenwood.......

Sounds like you and Kenwood are attached at the hip....Yes you and the company have had some great times, but it's time to move on to bigger and BETTER receivers.......

Kris_Smith

Agent
Well, I don't have too much experience as it is being I have only just purchased my first AVR....

I can guarantee you that the VR6070 is better than what you have now.....

I too do not really like a mismatched set up either....

So go for the 6070...I'm pretty sure the extra 20 watts will avoid the clipping....

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Hrmm.. Its so hard to decide, there are litteraly dozens of brands, how different can the sound really be from one brand to another?

Kris_Smith

Agent
It's not exactly the sound that is different.....

Obviously stated and witnessed by you:

Your 80w receiver clips on 50w speakers....Which means the quality of the wattage is lower than advertised....

Now one of the brands is lying about specs....

Since a true 80w "should" be able to push any/most speakers available then I am willing to bet that the 80w as noted in the receiver's manual is severely over-rated.....

Bottom line is:

Do you really want to stick with a company that stretches the truth? If so then you may in fact be missing out....

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Ask yourself this -

When you drive, is the gas constantly mashed to the floor, even around corners? No, probably not.

Reality is this - I have an HK AVR110, fully 4 generations old. Most of it's life was spent pushing NHT 'Ones, an inefficient speaker to begin with, but they were run small. Now it drives a set of Athena's - about 6 db more sensitive.
I went from 40 effective watts to 160 watts just like that, very simply stated. You bet it'll still clip, but once a month when I "floor it". The walls need to shake now and then. But most of the time it's at -40db from reference since really, I just need to hear it. That's where to look for the sound you like. The HK / Athenas just sound clear with a lot of warm air around the sound.

I'll change speakers once a year, but the 110 will be here until it dies. Then it's on to seperates and bigger NHT's.

Good Luck!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
making it even harder is that theres never a consenus between members on this stuff (with exception to bose). I dont know of any places in my area other than circuit city and best buy too buy to go and listen to stuff. Best Buy and CC no longer carry Kenwood, for whatever reason, (probably because they needed to make room to have 1,000 pairs of every KLH speaker in stock at all times). I know i would be happy enough with the vr6070, all im really looking for is more power, and digital inputs, that has them both. However, i do value the opinions of the people here alot, and if you guys think i would be better of with, and like a brand such as HK or denon more, ill try to find a place where i can listen. before the kenwood i had an Onkyo TX910 stereo receiver, i still have it sitting around, i have no clue what it would be worth, maybe ill throw that up on the hardware for sale page.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Just buy what you think makes sense to you, really. If you like the Kenwood, go for it! Buy both, maybe, and try them out. Return the one you don't like for whatever reason. Not the most honorable method...It may be as simple as the better remote wins, or this or that.

Kris_Smith

Agent
If I were you I would go to Circuit City and demo the HK.....

As a matter of fact I am going there tonight to hopefully exchange the HK230 for the HK630....

I wouldn't say buying 2 receivers and then taking 1 back is unhonorable....Any reputable dealer sells products that make the customer happy or else they would go out of business.....

When I took the NAD back they dealer gave my money back with a smile........He even said thanks for trying it out....That's good business...

I also think CC bends over backwards to make the customer happy....They've even honored returns after 30 days......Although they may have a higher price then some stores at least I buy without worries....

They've even price matched the "internet" after the sale was over.....2 thumbs up!

Kris_Smith

Agent
They aren't???

I never even knew that....I never demo'd the 230 in the store.......Ever since the new line jumped off I knew I would get one....

Just my luck they sound as good as they look.....

I've always liked the HK look even when they were blacked out.....

Most of all other receivers look the same....Except HIGH END equipment where each company's receiver/seperate stands out to ensure uniqueness......

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
If you're really wanting to stick with Kenwood but want to move up in power, and be certain you're speakers are receiving the advertised power by the manufacturer. Pick up one of these puppies..

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=384596

My dad has a Sovereign VR5090.. and that thing is a beast. It weighs a ton, and it's awfully pretty to boot. I know I'd pit it against any offerings from H/K, Denon, or the like. Just be sure you have room for it because it's not small.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks